Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Default Roofing shingles comparison

A roofer proposes to use Temko brand laminated fiberglass and asphalt
shingles, either of these:

Heritage 30 AR
Heritage 50 AR

Per mfgr data sheets, these appear to be exactly the same except the
50 is described as "heavyweight"; I cannot find the weights on the
mfgr website. Does anyone know?

http://www.tamko.com/Residential/tab...5/Default.aspx

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

What I am really most concerned about is durability against hail, which
we get several times a year. Fortunately not often larger than pea size,
but we get pea or dime hail several times a year and there is a risk of
golfball, baseball, or even softball size.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 9:03*am, (Una) wrote:
What I am really most concerned about is durability against hail, which
we get several times a year. *Fortunately not often larger than pea size,
but we get pea or dime hail several times a year and there is a risk of
golfball, baseball, or even softball size.

* * * * Una

If you are in a hail area check your insurance agent. I put on a
Class 4 hail resistant roof and got a 28% discount on homeowners
insurance.

You might want to look at metal roof:

http://www.gerardusa.com

I had that put on six years ago after hail took out my old shake
roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Una wrote:

A roofer proposes to use Temko brand laminated fiberglass and asphalt
shingles, either of these:

Heritage 30 AR
Heritage 50 AR

Per mfgr data sheets, these appear to be exactly the same except the
50 is described as "heavyweight"; I cannot find the weights on the
mfgr website. Does anyone know?

http://www.tamko.com/Residential/tab...5/Default.aspx

Una

That is because the roofing industry has shifted from "weight" ratings
to expected shingle life for their shingles. Not many use weights
anymore, but here is an explanation that may help you:

http://www.professionalroofing.net/past/july00/qa.asp

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Una wrote:

What I am really most concerned about is durability against hail, which
we get several times a year. Fortunately not often larger than pea size,
but we get pea or dime hail several times a year and there is a risk of
golfball, baseball, or even softball size.

Una

Like Rich256 said, if you're looking for durability against hail in an
asphalt shingle, look for a UL Class 4. Here's a link to the ones State
Farm approves for a premium credit:

http://www.statefarm.com/_pdf/nationwide.pdf

I don't see any Tamko listed.

One other thing you might consider in choosing a shingle is wind
resistance but maybe it will be tough enough to find an impact-resistant
one both you and your roofer like.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Erma1ina wrote:
Una wrote:

What I am really most concerned about is durability against hail, which
we get several times a year. Fortunately not often larger than pea size,
but we get pea or dime hail several times a year and there is a risk of
golfball, baseball, or even softball size.

Una

Like Rich256 said, if you're looking for durability against hail in an
asphalt shingle, look for a UL Class 4. Here's a link to the ones State
Farm approves for a premium credit:

http://www.statefarm.com/_pdf/nationwide.pdf

I don't see any Tamko listed.

One other thing you might consider in choosing a shingle is wind
resistance but maybe it will be tough enough to find an impact-resistant
one both you and your roofer like.

Good luck.

two words: seamed steel. never worry about your roof again in your
lifetime.

If you want something flashier, seamed copper.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another advantage of steel is that it can be installed over the old
roofing. I recently heard the price of steel has gone up.

On Jan 19, 12:21*pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
In that case, you need to check into a steel roof. *Also, check the GAF site
on the timberline shingles.

"Una" wrote in ....
What I am really most concerned about is durability against hail, which
we get several times a year. *Fortunately not often larger than pea size,
but we get pea or dime hail several times a year and there is a risk of
golfball, baseball, or even softball size.

Una- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Rich256 wrote:
If you are in a hail area check your insurance agent. I put on a
Class 4 hail resistant roof and got a 28% discount on homeowners

Ahah, a clue! After some calling around I found out a bunch of
important stuff.

UL 2218 is the destructive testing standard used to classify roof
products for impact resistance. Impact can involve hail, falling
tree limbs and pinecones etc, and tornado debris. Class 4 is the
best.

Tamko asphalt shingles are not classified for impact resistance.
That does not mean their impact resistance would be poor. My ins
co lists about 10 asphalt single products that are Class 3 or 4
and *may* qualify for an insurance discount in my region. I will
research those.

The main difference between the two Tamko shingles proposed by my
roofer is the warranty.

Una