Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air conditioning for 720 square foot upstairs apartment

So, I'm now in an apartment and I'm trying to plan for the upcoming
summer. For those 100 degree days, is there a way to air condition
this size apartment without installing any vents, etc out of a window
or door? If so, what items would you recommend to buy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Znott wrote:
So, I'm now in an apartment and I'm trying to plan for the upcoming
summer. For those 100 degree days, is there a way to air condition
this size apartment without installing any vents, etc out of a window
or door? If so, what items would you recommend to buy?

There is absolutely, positively no way to air condition a space
without having a place to exhaust the excess heat. Otherwise you could
air condition your apartment by leaving the refrigerator door open!

The most practical way to air condition the apartment is with
inexpensive window units.

There are also floor units that have a flexible tube for exhausting
the hot air to the outside.

You MUST exhaust the heat to the outdoors somehow. Otherwise your
apartment will only get hotter and hotter, with the air conditioner
running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I belive the biggest uint you can get on a 120v line is a 1200. I have a
1700 sqft house and the Panasonic 12,000 BTU unit I have pretty much do the
entire ranch home if I leave the doors open.

The trick is to make sure on hot days you start the unit before temp outside
hits 100. I live in New England where the temp hit the 90, but the humidity
hits 100%. I made sure I purchased the units that had a delayed on and off
timer so that I could set it up to turn on mid day before the house started
heating up.

Lets say your like me were you leave for work before 8 and get back about 5
and the house is hotter than the devil. Set the AC to turn on about noon on
low energy saving fan at about 74 and when you get home you are not roasting
your cookies off.

"Znott" wrote in message
So, I'm now in an apartment and I'm trying to plan for the upcoming
summer. For those 100 degree days, is there a way to air condition
this size apartment without installing any vents, etc out of a window
or door? If so, what items would you recommend to buy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jordan wrote:

I belive the biggest uint you can get on a 120v line is a 1200. I have a
1700 sqft house and the Panasonic 12,000 BTU unit I have pretty much do the
entire ranch home if I leave the doors open.

The trick is to make sure on hot days you start the unit before temp outside
hits 100. I live in New England where the temp hit the 90, but the humidity
hits 100%. I made sure I purchased the units that had a delayed on and off
timer so that I could set it up to turn on mid day before the house started
heating up.

Lets say your like me were you leave for work before 8 and get back about 5
and the house is hotter than the devil. Set the AC to turn on about noon on
low energy saving fan at about 74 and when you get home you are not roasting
your cookies off.

"Znott" wrote in message
.. .

So, I'm now in an apartment and I'm trying to plan for the upcoming
summer. For those 100 degree days, is there a way to air condition
this size apartment without installing any vents, etc out of a window
or door? If so, what items would you recommend to buy?

You should do your own manual J so you know what BTUH room AC you need.
I cool the first floor of an old 1937 over 900-sq.ft home with a mere
6,000-BTUH room AC.
A comfortable Temperature & Humidity control even at 112-F Heat Index.
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...harting.h tml

- udarrell

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES & WISDOM Principled PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated Often)
NO attacks on Iran or Pakistan - NO severe economic sanctions, communicate - negotiate!

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm (A page full of links to my pages.)

Time to create a "DEPARTMENT OF PEACE - HR 808)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...tment_of_Peace
Moral principled philosophies can save countless lives & Trillions of wasted dollars?

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to ACCEPT.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:46:15 GMT, udarrell
wrote:

You should do your own manual J so you know what BTUH room AC you need.
I cool the first floor of an old 1937 over 900-sq.ft home with a mere
6,000-BTUH room AC.
A comfortable Temperature & Humidity control even at 112-F Heat Index.
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...harting.h tml

I determined that our third-floor room, 22'x14' with windows on the
north, west, and south sides, 1930 house, needed either 8,000 or
10,000 BTU, and I went with the 10,000 BTU because of the extreme
weather/heat exposure swings of that space. Works well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jan 18, 2:05*pm, Znott wrote:
So, I'm now in an apartment and I'm trying to plan for the upcoming
summer. *For those 100 degree days, is there a way to air condition
this size apartment without installing any vents, etc out of a window
or door? *If so, what items would you recommend to buy?

Big chunk of dry ice in the middle of your living room floor !!!