Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat roof and questions about using an elastomeric product

I have a flat roof of a rolled product that is in reasonably good
condition that is concealed from view, so after yearly repairs with
tar, in cracked areas and places around skylights, I'd like to try a
different product, like the white elastomeric compound to repair
cracks and areas around flashing etc.

Also, I need to do something about areas that pool water. Most are
small but one is an inch deep in the center and over 6 feet in
diameter. Can I use the elastomeric compound to fill these pools? If
so, will I have do the whole roof with it after I fill the holes or
would feathering out the edges be good enough?

How can I fill those pooling areas without having to rebuild the
entire roof? The roof is strong, It was home built by a previous owner/
builder who did not make the angle steep enough.

I'll wait until summer to do this project.
----------------------
Also, the energy savings is mentioned when using the reflective white
elastomeric, over a black roof, but I presume that is about air
conditioning, and I don't use or need air conditioning. I probably
have about R-11 in the roof insulation, but wonder if my house will be
colder in winter, with a white roof. In other words, I like using the
passive solar heating of the sun in the winter, but I don't know how
much of a difference, if any, a white roof would make.

Posted to alt.home.repair

desertfreight had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ct-282266-.htm
:

desertfreight
Our flat roof has a foam coating and two coats of Elastomeric coating that
is good for 7-10 years before it needs re-apply. Henry's Products makes a
ponding
compound Henrys 176 that we put on to create a better flow and remove
ponding. It comes in a power form and water is added once applied to fill
in area, let dry and put elastomeric over it. Works great.