DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sears air compressor wont meet the top pressure. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/229758-sears-air-compressor-wont-meet-top-pressure.html)

[email protected] January 13th 08 11:07 PM

Sears air compressor wont meet the top pressure.

I have an older small sears craftsman air compressor. When I turn the
unit on it will reach 60 psi. It will not go above 60 psi and
continues to run. The tank holds the 60 psi after I manually turn it
off. Is this something I can fix?

Edwin Pawlowski January 14th 08 12:01 AM

wrote in message
I have an older small sears craftsman air compressor. When I turn the
unit on it will reach 60 psi. It will not go above 60 psi and
continues to run. The tank holds the 60 psi after I manually turn it
off. Is this something I can fix?

May have to rebuild it. God chance the piston/rings are worn.

Eric9822 January 14th 08 01:06 AM

On Jan 13, 3:07*pm, wrote:
I have an older small sears craftsman air compressor. When I turn the
unit on it will reach 60 psi. It will not go above 60 psi and
continues to run. The tank holds the 60 psi after I manually turn it
off. Is this something I can fix?

Edwin makes a good point. The other thing I would check is the relief
valve. Make sure it isn't relieving at 60 PSIG and you are not
hearing it when the compressor is running.

[email protected] January 14th 08 06:23 AM

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:07:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have an older small sears craftsman air compressor. When I turn the
unit on it will reach 60 psi. It will not go above 60 psi and
continues to run. The tank holds the 60 psi after I manually turn it
off. Is this something I can fix?

Installing a one way valve where the compressor output enters the tank
would likely help. Otherwise, the valves in the compressor might be
leaky, or the rings are badly worn. If this is one of those oil-less
types, they are short lived compared to the old ones.