Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Default Electric W/H problem - now under slab leak???

Thanks for all your responses. We went back over there yesterday and
checked
the water meter. The dial was spinning even after we made sure
everything
was shut off. Then we shut off the supply valve to the water heater and
the
water meter quit spinning. We left the valve off for a while and when
we did
turn it on there was hot water. This tells me there is an under slab
leak in
the hot water pipe.

We used an inferred thermometer to test the temperature of the floor
near
the kitchen sink and in the bath rooms while the water heater had
pressure
and when it did not have any pressure to see if there was any
difference
and found none. This was done over a few hours, but still no
temperature
difference in the floor.

Any hints on finding under slab leaks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Once you determine the location where the pipe enters the slab area, and
where it comes out of the slab, draw a line on the slab and drill a few half
inch test holes to see if the dirt is dry or muddy. Or if possible, just
abandon the pipe under the slab and run a new one

"CM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CM" wrote in message

[...]

Any hints on finding under slab leaks?- Hide quoted text -

Some Menards sell a cheap moisture meter for measuring wood or
concrete moisture content, where it is wettest would be the leak. If
it is old copper it might be worth abandoning as acids in concrete
have made many radiant heating systems get leaks. A microphone moved
along the pipe area might alow you to hear it leaking
Posted to alt.home.repair

CM wrote:

[...]

Here's a link to message board thread where a problem like yours is
discussed:

http://do-it-yourself.tribe.net/thre...f-652b6e4fa945

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
Once you determine the location where the pipe enters the slab area, and
where it comes out of the slab, draw a line on the slab and drill a few
half inch test holes to see if the dirt is dry or muddy. Or if possible,
just abandon the pipe under the slab and run a new one

I would not consider even trying to locate the leak. Just figure out where
the pipes enter and exit the slab. Under the slab pipe repairs tend to be
very expensive and have to be repeated. The pipe will probably be severely
corroded even where not leaking. Save time and money by running a new line
above the slab and be done with it.

Don Young