Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default mystery faucet brand with different washer style? canadian?

while visiting my folks (in canada, which may be significant) i
noticed that all their faucets were leaking. no evidence of what the
manufacturer was.

i took one apart, and it was a kind with a washer, but a funny one;
somewhat tapered in thickness fastened on the bottom of the shaft that
runs up to the knob, so that when the water is turned on the washer
goes down, opening up the bottom of the tube above it through which
the knob/washer shaft passes, and when it's closed the washer comes up
and shuts it off. went down to the 'revvy" (home depot for canucks)
and found one replacement washer package that looked similar, but **i
forgot the brand name**. all i remember is that it wasn't one of the
biggies, but i think it was one i had heard of before....

so, i replaced all the faucets, but some of them were a tiny bit
bigger, barely visible, but enough so that the new washers wouldn't
shut off the water.

so: i'm scheduled for a return trip, i'd like to know what the brand
was in the hopes that i can find a bunch of those washers in different
sizes ahead of time and bring them with me to fix the rest of things,
without having to go search all around the great white north with the
water shut off; because, none of the faucets had a shutoff valve, so
all the water in the house needs to be shut off while I'm doing
anything.

so, does this brand sound familiar to anybody? is it a canada-only
item?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
[...]

Post some pictures where we can all view them, at a site like
www.photobucket.com. Don't use flash when photographing chrome.

And, use a small mirror to view the underside of the spout. Sometimes you'll
find brand names under there. You might need to use some white vinegar to
wipe away mineral buildup first.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

z wrote:
[...]

Canada is on the metric system, right? And 3/8" isn't really that
close to 10 mm. So you might have US made faucets needing real 3/8"
faucet washers, about 0.020" smaller. Just a thought.

Joe