Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Satellite TV problem

The satellite TV installer did a really SLOPPY job installing the
system.
He threaded one cable run through gutters and along the ground, and I
want to replace it with either direct burial cable or a wireless
alternative; that is, a transmitter receiver pair between the dish and
this one particular TV.
This TV has it's own box. They all have their own box.

What would the spec be, in terms of what type of bandwidth is
required?
I searched on-line but perhaps was using the wrong search term.
What is it called?
Could I use a video server which is used to convert analog video
cameras over to IP and feed it into a Wireless DSL router?
Posted to alt.home.repair

timO' wrote:
The satellite TV installer did a really SLOPPY job installing the
system.
He threaded one cable run through gutters and along the ground, and I
want to replace it with either direct burial cable or a wireless
alternative; that is, a transmitter receiver pair between the dish and
this one particular TV.
This TV has it's own box. They all have their own box.

What would the spec be, in terms of what type of bandwidth is
required?
I searched on-line but perhaps was using the wrong search term.
What is it called?
Could I use a video server which is used to convert analog video
cameras over to IP and feed it into a Wireless DSL router?

You need a _direct_ cable between the DBS receiver and the dish's LNB(s)
-- one without even one splice would be ideal but that is virtually
impossible. The receiver feeds operating power and control signals in
the dish direction and receives a very wideband (at least 500mHz IIRC)
signal back from the dish. The receiver is able to switch remotely among
the various feedhorns and polarities and bands available by manipulating
the DC and AC voltages it feeds to the dish.

If the installer did a bad job, call the company and complain until they
send someone out to make it right. There are installation standards
which below which no company or installer should ever drop. Loose cable
strung through gutters and trailed along the ground definitely would
fall into the no-no category.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 10:25*am, "timO'" wrote:
The satellite TV installer did a really SLOPPY job installing the
system.
He threaded one cable run through gutters and along the ground, and *I
want to replace it with either direct burial cable or a wireless
alternative; that is, a transmitter receiver pair between the dish and
this one particular TV.
This TV has it's own box. They all have their own box.

What would the spec be, in terms of what type of bandwidth is
required?
I searched on-line but perhaps was using the wrong search term.
What is it called?
Could I use a video server which is used to convert analog video
cameras over to IP *and feed it into a Wireless DSL router?

Have the satelite co fix it free its a poor install, I dought wireless
will get you a quality signal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 2:47 pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 6, 10:25 am, "timO'" wrote:

The satellite TV installer did a really SLOPPY job installing the
system.
He threaded one cable run through gutters and along the ground, and I
want to replace it with either direct burial cable or a wireless
alternative; that is, a transmitter receiver pair between the dish and
this one particular TV.
This TV has it's own box. They all have their own box.

What would the spec be, in terms of what type of bandwidth is
required?
I searched on-line but perhaps was using the wrong search term.
What is it called?
Could I use a video server which is used to convert analog video
cameras over to IP and feed it into a Wireless DSL router?

Have the satelite co fix it free its a poor install, I dought wireless
will get you a quality signal.

Well it's not even my house, and the installation was done a few years
ago. the cable run in question went bad, and I just laid some coax on
the ground and reconnected the dish with that individual set. Now I'd
like to either permanently install the wire or go wireless.
thanks for the replies and suggestions

satellite cable news.btinternet.com UK diy 4 December 31st 05 02:59 PM
DIY satellite tv Hugh UK diy 4 December 11th 05 12:04 PM
satellite addition Rich Home Repair 8 January 3rd 05 12:18 AM
Siting a satellite dish using satellite eclipse with the sun Roger UK diy 8 October 15th 04 01:46 AM