Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Large Outdoor Trash Cans

On those large trash cans (e.g., 96 gallons) with wheels, there's a
horizontal aluminum bar. What is its purpose? TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 10:24*am, "SteveB" wrote:
"Way Back Jack" wrote in .. .

On those large trash cans (e.g., 96 gallons) with wheels, there's a
horizontal aluminum bar. *What is its purpose? *TIA

We use ours so when we load them on a pickup to take them to the pickup
site, a person on the ground can assist a person in the bed of the truck to
get them up and down. *I have also heard it is a high speed wobble
supressor.

Steve

It gives the racoon something to hold on to while he opens the lid,
its also what the auto lifter on a garbage truck grabs onto to lift
and empty it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 10:40*am, ransley wrote:
On Jan 5, 10:24*am, "SteveB" wrote:

"Way Back Jack" wrote in .. .

On those large trash cans (e.g., 96 gallons) with wheels, there's a
horizontal aluminum bar. *What is its purpose? *TIA

We use ours so when we load them on a pickup to take them to the pickup
site, a person on the ground can assist a person in the bed of the truck to
get them up and down. *I have also heard it is a high speed wobble
supressor.

Steve

It gives the racoon something to hold on to while he opens the lid,
its also what the auto lifter on a garbage truck grabs onto to lift
and empty it.

Every since we switched to the hauler-provided garbage cans, the
"racoon dumping the trash problem" has been completey eliminated.

There are (at least) 4 additional advantages:

1 - I only have one can to roll to the street, instead of 2 plus
sometimes a bag.
2 - I don't have to worry about how much weight I put in it - (there's
some kind of weight limit for any other type of container)
3 - My smaller wheeled containers are always available for leaves and
other yard debris that I can "recycle" in the woods across the street
from my house.
4 - If it breaks, they'll give me a new one for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 1/5/2008 10:09 AM Way Back Jack said the following:
On those large trash cans (e.g., 96 gallons) with wheels, there's a
horizontal aluminum bar. What is its purpose? TIA

Don't know where that aluminum bar is on your can, but on my large
wheeled trash can, there is a plastic bar across the top front that is
the pull handle. My trash can is supplied by the trash company, and it
is picked up with those new 1 man automated trucks with the arm that
comes out and picks up the can and dumps it into the truck.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 11:39*am, willshak wrote:
on 1/5/2008 10:09 AM Way Back Jack said the following: On those large trash cans (e.g., 96 gallons) with wheels, there's a
horizontal aluminum bar. *What is its purpose? *TIA

Don't know where that aluminum bar is on your can, but on my large
wheeled trash can, there is a plastic bar across the top front that is
the pull handle. My trash can is supplied by the trash company, and it
is picked up with those new 1 man automated trucks with the arm that
comes out and picks up the can and dumps it into the truck.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Bill,

Some cans with the bar are shown at this site. The truck hooks the
bar and tilts/dumps the contents into the truck.

http://www.rabanco.com/collection/Be...w_garbage.aspx

I'm guessing that your can is like the one the truck is lifting at
this site, which wouldn't require a bar.

http://www.wmnorthwest.com/nkingcounty/garbage.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(Way Back Jack) wrote:

On those large trash cans (e.g., 96 gallons) with wheels, there's a
horizontal aluminum bar. What is its purpose? TIA

http://cvwma.fullrangemedia.net/stor...ash%20cart.jpg

It is part of the cart components that "mate" with the hydraulic "shoe" found
centered and just below the bottom edge of rear-loading compactor trucks.

Following is a photo of a truck with TWO "shoes".

http://www.sa-transport.co.za/trucks...bage_truck.JPG

The employee maneuvers the cart from the curb and aligns it with the "shoe"
whereupon he activates a lever. The shoe attaches to the cart (using the
metallic bar about which you inquired), raises the cart and partially inverts
it, dumping its contents into the compactor bay, then returns the cart to the
ground, releasing the cart from the "shoe". I was unable to find any images
on Google showing this process but it is widespread and very common where
carts are used.

The one-man, fully-automated trucks are encroaching on this process. That
does NOT involve the metal bar. In fact, the main body of carts designed
specifically for such automation are perfectly cylindrical - without the metal
bar.

http://www.rotoind.com/images/prod_08RedCart.jpg

In the more automated, one-man system, an articulated arm extends from the
truck, encircles the cart with a strap or two, the cart is lifted entirely
from the ground, dumped into a SIDE-loading bay of the compactor truck, then
returned to its "original" place on the ground. This is ostensibly done
without the operator/driver leaving the cab of the vehicle.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 1/6/2008 12:05 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:
[...]

Yes. My cans are picked up by the sides.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY