DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/228398-proper-insulation-chicagoland-area.html)

ATJaguarX January 2nd 08 07:10 PM

Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

We recently purchased an brand new home in August and this is our
first year in the house. The house is much larger then my previous
house (3200 sqft vs 2400 sqft) and I've noticed that the furnace runs
much longer and much more often then my previous house. Based on the
specs of the builder, they put in R-11 batts in the ceiling with R-27
blow in "for tight insulation" and R-13 batts in the walls.

Does this sound sufficient? I'm not sure what the total R value would
be for the ceiling (do you add the R-11 and R-27 to come up with
R-38)?

This past weekend, it was approx 0 degrees out. I turned the furnace
down to 62 before we left for a day trip. When I returned, I set the
furnace back to 68 (where I normally keep it) and it took approx 2.5
hours for the house to heat from 62 to 68. This seems very excessive
to me.

KLS January 2nd 08 09:29 PM

Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:10:17 -0800 (PST), ATJaguarX
wrote:

This past weekend, it was approx 0 degrees out. I turned the furnace
down to 62 before we left for a day trip. When I returned, I set the
furnace back to 68 (where I normally keep it) and it took approx 2.5
hours for the house to heat from 62 to 68. This seems very excessive
to me.

And to me: I live in a climate similar to yours, and my 2-stage gas
furnace takes less than an hour to bring the house up from 60F to 65F,
closer to 35 minutes.

ATJaguarX January 2nd 08 09:58 PM

wrote:
This past weekend, it was approx 0 degrees out. *I turned the furnace
down to 62 before we left for a day trip. *When I returned, I set the
furnace back to 68 (where I normally keep it) and it took approx 2.5
hours for the house to heat from 62 to 68. *This seems very excessive
to me.

And to me: *I live in a climate similar to yours, and my 2-stage gas
furnace takes less than an hour to bring the house up from 60F to 65F,
closer to 35 minutes. *

I've read the following online: "A properly-sized system is designed
as closely as possible to the needs of the house; on the coldest days
of the year, it should run almost continuously."

http://www.hometips.com/cs-protected...nace_size.html

Lou January 2nd 08 10:21 PM

Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

I've read the following online: "A properly-sized system is designed
as closely as possible to the needs of the house; on the coldest days
of the year, it should run almost continuously."

http://www.hometips.com/cs-protected...nace_size.html

Bull. I live north of Chicago and it takes about 1/2 hour to get the
house from 62
to 67. In fact it does it every day. My furnace goes off at 8am and
doesn't turn on till
3pm every day. The lowest the temp gets is 60 deg and thats when it's
10 below outside.
It sounds like your system is too small for the house. It wouldn't
hurt to contact the
building department with these questions.
Lou

marson January 3rd 08 12:04 AM

On Jan 2, 4:21 pm, Lou wrote:
I've read the following online: "A properly-sized system is designed
as closely as possible to the needs of the house; on the coldest days
of the year, it should run almost continuously."

http://www.hometips.com/cs-protected...nace_size.html

Bull. I live north of Chicago and it takes about 1/2 hour to get the
house from 62
to 67. In fact it does it every day. My furnace goes off at 8am and
doesn't turn on till
3pm every day. The lowest the temp gets is 60 deg and thats when it's
10 below outside.
It sounds like your system is too small for the house. It wouldn't
hurt to contact the
building department with these questions.
Lou

Another thing is that no matter what the wrapper says, the quality of
the insulation depends a lot on the quality of the installation.
Also, if you have crappy air sealing, that isn't going to help
either. I think that unless you live in a place that is 70 degrees
year round, you should have r 21 in your walls, but that's just my
opinion.

[email protected] January 3rd 08 12:33 AM

Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

well new high efficeny furnaces are sized closely to the home, for
most efficent operation. but gone are the days you could raise the
temp of the home from 50 to 70 in a hour. new furnaces just arent that
oversized.

on insulation the higher the R value the better.

ideally the builder would of used closed cell foam, its costly but its
over R6 per inch.

of course you would of had to pay the added cost, and since its not a
see me item like granite countertops, its harder to justify.........

minimum R standards for ew homes should be raised

Joe January 3rd 08 12:39 AM

On Jan 2, 1:10*pm, ATJaguarX wrote:
[...]

With your huge house and perhaps cathedral ceilings, great room (high
ceiling) and all the other popular things now found in new homes, you
probably have lousy air circulation and a sadly undersized furnace.
IMO you need to get some competent help to analyze and correct the
problem. Be ready for a shock when you get the quotes for the work.
Deepest sympathies.

Joe

ATJaguarX January 3rd 08 01:58 AM

On Jan 2, 6:39*pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

I have the builder and the HVAC guy coming on Friday to see what's
going on. You mention "competent" help to analyze and correct the
problem. Who would I turn for this? Should I not trust the opinion
of the HVAC guy and the builder?

Big_Jake January 3rd 08 02:18 AM

[...]

I am just north of you, in WI, and R38 (which you have) is code for
ceilings, and I think R13 is still ok for the walls. Hard to expect a
builder to go beyond the minimum standard.

I'm not too surprised that, with the extreme temps, it took a long
time for the furnace to get up to temperature. The furnace should be
sized to keep up with the heat loss on the coldest days.

JK

Joe January 3rd 08 02:32 AM

Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

On Jan 2, 7:58*pm, ATJaguarX wrote:

snip

I have the builder and the HVAC guy coming on Friday to see what's
going on. *You mention "competent" help to analyze and correct the
problem. *Who would I turn for this? *Should I not trust the opinion
of the HVAC guy and the builder?

Come on now, these are not the guys that caused the problem. Are you
going to let them brain wash you into believing that the situation is
normal? Whoever designed the house is the cause of the poor
performance. Get a decent architect on board, someone familiar with
ALL aspects of residential design. If you are near a major university
with such a department, ask if someone there can recommend a firm in
your area. Browse the Yellow Pages. Knowledge is power. Good luck.

Joe

ransley January 3rd 08 03:18 AM

[...]

It may all be normal, proper sizing of a furnace is that it runs
nearly continously at the coldest day which is about -20f in chgo. 2.5
hrs is not much seeing all the furniture and walls you must heat that
are now cold. Oversizing a furnace leads to short cycling and
uncomfortable heat. is it a 2 stage unit, you might check that the
second stage works. You have R38 , or at least you think you did, as
nobody cheats, and blown in settles more than batt, Measure it
yourself and calculate R value. But what you have is code, its the
minimum, not optimal, and the code is old based upon cheap gas so do
your own research. Optimal some say R 60 some say more. Im sure a laod
calculation was done and you should have looked into projected heating
costs, and they might be normal, depending on your design.

[email protected] January 3rd 08 03:30 AM

On Jan 2, 10:18�pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

costs, and they might be normal, depending on your design.- Hide quoted text -

well you could add a extra furnace for use only in extreme
situations........

but the most efficent furnace is one that runs continiously on the
coldest days

Larry Caldwell January 3rd 08 02:48 PM

Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

In article 62a14e8c-e9fe-4599-a1fb-a4dc2b105bd9
@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com, (ATJaguarX) says...
We recently purchased an brand new home in August and this is our
first year in the house. The house is much larger then my previous
house (3200 sqft vs 2400 sqft) and I've noticed that the furnace runs
much longer and much more often then my previous house. Based on the
specs of the builder, they put in R-11 batts in the ceiling with R-27
blow in "for tight insulation" and R-13 batts in the walls.

In a cold area like yours, you should have thermal break insulation in
the walls, and at least R-19. R-38 in the attic is absolute minimum.
Your furnace should respond quicker if it's only 0 degrees. It will
probably be inadequate during really cold weather, which will sometimes
reach -40.

You might think about paying for an energy audit. It's pretty common
for plumbers and electricians to rip up insulation and not replace it.
You may have some gaping holes in your envelope. If you discover any,
see if the home builder is a member of his association's home warranty
program. You may be able to get it fixed with minimal cost to you.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

ATJaguarX January 3rd 08 03:41 PM

Proper insulation for the Chicagoland area?

On Jan 3, 8:48*am, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
[...]

I tried contacting my local gas company and they do not provide any
type of energy audit (the CS rep didn't even know what I was talking
about). How can you find these "gaping holes" in the envelope?

ATJaguarX January 3rd 08 03:47 PM

On Jan 2, 9:30Â*pm, " wrote:
[...]

coldest days- Hide quoted text -

I posted a comment like yours above ("but the most efficent furnace is
one that runs continiously on the coldest days") and others laughed
about that.

My buddy is a construction super intendent for a big builder in the
area and they sell houses that are similiar and size and he said that
they usually have 2 furnaces in a house like mine. There is no doubt
that I would love to have a seperate furnace for the 2nd floor.

Another question... this same buddy says that they do one single duct
run to the attic and then branch it off from there to the individual
rooms with the registers on the ceilings (2nd floor). Mine has
individual duct runs with individual dampers in the basement for each
room on the 2nd floor. Which setup is better? I would assume
individual runs would be better since its not going to a cold attic,
but he thought my setup was strange. Adding a 2nd furnace will be
more of a headache with my setup (I would assume).

[email protected] January 3rd 08 05:20 PM

On Jan 3, 10:47Â*am, ATJaguarX wrote:
On Jan 2, 9:30Â*pm, " wrote:

[...]

they usually have 2 furnaces in a house like mine. Â*There is no doubt
that I would love to have a seperate furnace for the 2nd floor.

Another question... this same buddy says that they do one single duct
run to the attic and then branch it off from there to the individual
rooms with the registers on the ceilings (2nd floor). Â*Mine has
individual duct runs with individual dampers in the basement for each
room on the 2nd floor. Â*Which setup is better? Â*I would assume
individual runs would be better since its not going to a cold attic,
but he thought my setup was strange. Â*Adding a 2nd furnace will be
more of a headache with my setup (I would assume).- Hide quoted text -

being a construction superindent means he is hopefully a expert at
building stuff. he follows plans.

he doesnt design building and probably isnt a HVAC expert either.

Thoise 90%+ efficent furnaces are rated like that during continious
operation. thats the coldest day of the year.

on a 50 degree day in a area that typically sees zero degrees the 90+
furnace isnt near its top efficency.

the basement feed furnace ducts are more efficent than top feed.

with top feed the hot air must be pushed up all the way to the attic,
and back down again to floor level.

with basement feed hot air is still pushed, but natural convention hot
air rises cold air falls helps a lot. more efficent less electric
blower power needed, less ductwork needed.

down feed is used for open floor plans and appearance but its less
efficent

the reason constant operation is more efficent? the furnace transmits
all the heat it produces into the air. in a cycling situation much
heat never gets moved to where you need it, on first heating things up
before blower turns on, and afterward, when hotr heat exchanger is
left to cool.

have you noiticed high efficency furnaces tend to blow cooler air on
start up? thats a attempt to minimize heat lost during start up...

note the dual speed furnaces are another attempt to address these
losses.

the idea is in less than full heat needs run the furnace at less than
full btus continiously, this minimizes losses

Heathcliff January 3rd 08 05:32 PM

[...]

It is true that for best efficiency, the furnace should be sized so
that it is just able to keep up on the coldest days. An oversized
furnace that cycles frequently will waste energy. Let people laugh if
they want, they can laugh all the way to the bank (to get more money
out to pay their gas bill). That being said, as you have noticed, a
smaller furnace can take a long time to heat the house up; 2.5 hours
seems like too long to wait for a standard thermostat set-back. The
poster that asked about whether the second stage is working might be
on to something; something for the HVAC guy to check out. Have the
house nice and cold when he shows up. If you just want/need a bigger
furnace you might be able to cut a deal with the builder on that.

Chicago has weather records going back well over 100 years and the
coldest it has ever been was -27 Fahrenheit. So if the system is good
down to -20 or so that should suffice.

Your insulation is the modern standard practice. Arguably there
should be more but at this point it is hard to add it anywhere but the
attic, where you could just have more blown in. There are lots of old
houses in Chicagoland with NO insulation in the walls - at least
you're better off than they are!

-- H

dpb January 3rd 08 05:33 PM

Heathcliff wrote:

It is true that for best efficiency, the furnace should be sized so
that it is just able to keep up on the coldest days. An oversized
furnace that cycles frequently will waste energy. ...

How, precisely, do you come to that conclusion? Given two otherwise
comparative units, how does size alone affect efficiency?

ATJaguarX January 3rd 08 06:39 PM

On Jan 3, 11:32*am, Heathcliff wrote:
[...]

-- H- Hide quoted text -

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have heard 2 terms alot that I am
not aware of:

1. The furnace's "second stage"
2. Standard thermostat "set-back"

ransley January 3rd 08 07:10 PM

On Jan 3, 12:39*pm, ATJaguarX wrote:
[...]

2. *Standard thermostat "set-back"- Hide quoted text -

It was near zero out, taking 2.5 hrs to raise temp 6 f is probably
normal, Ive set back to 58 for a week and it might take 6-10 hrs to
get warm. What type of furnace do you have, single stage 82% is
cheapest, 92%+ dual stage VSDC is the most expensive. Dual stage has a
low btu output for normal use and comfort and goes on high fire or
full output when needed, my second stage goes on if I put the
thermostat up 2 or 3 f. I dought you have a heating issue, most houses
are wrongly oversized out of laziness by the installer to do a load
calculation and make a bit more money selling a more expensive unit. I
read another post you did at alt building, you should get the rated-
guarnteed specs on your windows for Air Infiltration of your new
windows. There I bet its installer error or defective windows, you
should not feel air comming in new windows, and more insulation will
help save you money.

ATJaguarX January 3rd 08 07:20 PM

On Jan 3, 1:10*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

help save you money.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for you thoughts Mark (and everyone else). I know my furnace
is 80% effeciency, but I'm not sure if I have a dual stage (I doubt
it). I'm going to snag a few pics of the area of my window where I
believe air is entering and post them tonight. I'm almost positive
its the poor seal on the sides of the lower sash.

dpb January 3rd 08 07:39 PM

ATJaguarX wrote:

is 80% effeciency, but I'm not sure if I have a dual stage (I doubt
it). I'm going to snag a few pics of the area of my window where I
believe air is entering and post them tonight. I'm almost positive
its the poor seal on the sides of the lower sash.

What make/model? You can look its spec's up. Same for the
windows--somebody already suggested looking up infiltration data for them.

ATJaguarX January 3rd 08 08:48 PM

On Jan 3, 1:39*pm, dpb wrote:
ATJaguarX wrote:

is 80% effeciency, but I'm not sure if I have a dual stage (I doubt
it). *I'm going to snag a few pics of the area of my window where I
believe air is entering and post them tonight. *I'm almost positive
its the poor seal on the sides of the lower sash.

What make/model? *You can look its spec's up. *Same for the
windows--somebody already suggested looking up infiltration data for them.

--

The make of the furnace is York and the windows are by SilverLine.
I'm not sure of the models. I'm not sure where I can find any other

Heathcliff January 3rd 08 09:00 PM

On Jan 3, 11:33 am, dpb wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:

It is true that for best efficiency, the furnace should be sized so
that it is just able to keep up on the coldest days. An oversized
furnace that cycles frequently will waste energy. ...

How, precisely, do you come to that conclusion? Given two otherwise
comparative units, how does size alone affect efficiency?

--

Fair enough, here are some references:

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicati.../03-109-e.html
(canada mortgage and housing corporation technical bulletin)

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/Furnace-choosingsize.cfm (home heating
supply co.)

and it's not just efficiency, but also early failure of the unit is a
possibility. -- H

ATJaguarX January 3rd 08 09:16 PM

On Jan 3, 1:20*pm, ATJaguarX wrote:
On Jan 3, 1:10*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

its the poor seal on the sides of the lower sash.- Hide quoted text -

The SilverLine windows are double hung windows. I pulled open the
lower sash last night and noticed that there is only a small piece of
"fuzzy" felt like material that seals the lower sash on the sides
when
closed. I believe, on windy days, the wind makes it way through this
"fuzzy" felt and into the weight chambers and up and into the room.
wonder if I should install better weather stripping on the windows
myself.

ATJaguarX January 3rd 08 09:22 PM

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/Furnace...gsize.cfm(home heating
supply co.)

and it's not just efficiency, but also early failure of the unit is a
possibility. -- H

I can understand the oversized furnace issue. What I don't understand
is why my furnace will shut off and fire back up 10 mins later when I
have my thermostat set to 69 degrees. I would think that the furnace
should be able to stay off for longer then that. I've noticed that
the thermostat never drops a single degree before it kicks the furnace
back on again. Is there something internal on the thermostat that
measures fractions of a degree?

ATJaguarX January 3rd 08 11:12 PM

On Jan 3, 1:10*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

myself.- Hide quoted text -

Here are a few pictures of the silverline windows i have installed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5444636...7603627066227/

ransley January 3rd 08 11:29 PM

On Jan 3, 11:33 am, dpb wrote:

Heathcliff wrote:

It is true that for best efficiency, the furnace should be sized so
that it is just able to keep up on the coldest days. *An oversized
furnace that cycles frequently will waste energy. ...

How, precisely, do you come to that conclusion? *Given two otherwise
comparative units, how does size alone affect efficiency?

--

Fair enough, here are some references:

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicati.../03-109-e.html
(canada mortgage and housing corporation technical bulletin)

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/Furnace...gsize.cfm(home heating
supply co.)

and it's not just efficiency, but also early failure of the unit is a
possibility. -- H

Here is a hint for instalation quality. 1st if any window is out more
than 1/8" in plumb, - level or square it is not even in warranty now
or ever was , because of defective installation....

Second get manufacturers guarnteed ratings for CDF, Air infiltration,
U Value, R value, and do some looking. Im in Chcgo area and it sounds
like you got all of the cheapest stuff not rated "Energy Star"
Unforatuly only an uninformed puts in an 80% efficient furnace in
Chicago in 2007.

dpb January 3rd 08 11:57 PM

Heathcliff wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:33 am, dpb wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:

It is true that for best efficiency, the furnace should be sized so
that it is just able to keep up on the coldest days. An oversized
furnace that cycles frequently will waste energy. ...

How, precisely, do you come to that conclusion? Given two otherwise
comparative units, how does size alone affect efficiency?

--

Fair enough, here are some references:

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicati.../03-109-e.html
(canada mortgage and housing corporation technical bulletin)

From which I find...

"There is no good data showing whether these higher efficiency furnaces
do save energy as a result of being properly sized"

dpb January 4th 08 12:01 AM

ATJaguarX wrote:

I can understand the oversized furnace issue.

Well, the first reference concludes that their research to determine the
effect of sizing on efficiency wasn't so successful -- see earlier
quote. I also doubt unless it were _grossly_ wrong that the cycling off
a few times per hour could be measured in reduced longevity vis a vis
the more continual operation.

What I don't understand
is why my furnace will shut off and fire back up 10 mins later when I
have my thermostat set to 69 degrees. I would think that the furnace
should be able to stay off for longer then that. I've noticed that
the thermostat never drops a single degree before it kicks the furnace
back on again. Is there something internal on the thermostat that
measures fractions of a degree?

Possibly could be an excessively sensitive thermostat or perhaps there's
a breeze blowing by it that it's sensing on the switching element or
something similar. It may also have a sensitivity adjustment,
particularly if it is digital, not analog.

ransley January 4th 08 12:28 AM

On Jan 3, 11:33 am, dpb wrote:

Heathcliff wrote:

It is true that for best efficiency, the furnace should be sized so
that it is just able to keep up on the coldest days. *An oversized
furnace that cycles frequently will waste energy. ...

How, precisely, do you come to that conclusion? *Given two otherwise
comparative units, how does size alone affect efficiency?

--

Fair enough, here are some references:

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicati.../03-109-e.html
(canada mortgage and housing corporation technical bulletin)

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/Furnace...gsize.cfm(home heating
supply co.)

and it's not just efficiency, but also early failure of the unit is a
possibility. -- H

An oversized furnace cycles more and at moderate temps may rarely get
to be near rated efficency, [ why anyone is even allowed to use or
sell an 80% unit in Chicago is dumb, but im stupid] Get window info
online and warranty. Get furnace date online. Measure attic insulation
depth youself. Measure windows for Plumb -level - square yourself and
dont tell him, it could be an install issue. Check out warranty
yourself by calling the window co. Did you know England does not
allow non condensing units even though temps dont get much below
freezing. Thank your EPA and George W Bush for this stupidity. So
think for maybe 500 more, or a few hundred if only condensing units
were sold you Would be saving 11-16% a month , depending on what model
you chose, at 200-300 im guessing 15% is alot..

ransley January 4th 08 02:09 AM

On Jan 3, 5:57*pm, dpb wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:33 am, dpb wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:

It is true that for best efficiency, the furnace should be sized so
that it is just able to keep up on the coldest days. *An oversized
furnace that cycles frequently will waste energy. ...
How, precisely, do you come to that conclusion? *Given two otherwise
comparative units, how does size alone affect efficiency?

--

Fair enough, here are some references:

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicati.../03-109-e.html
(canada mortgage and housing corporation technical bulletin)

*From which I find...

"There is no good data showing whether these higher efficiency furnaces
do save energy as a result of being properly sized"

dbp, any condensing furnace will save the near rated amount over a
noncondensing unit. or a 95% unit will save 15% over a 80% given the
same environment.

dpb January 4th 08 02:40 AM

ransley wrote:
On Jan 3, 5:57 pm, dpb wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:33 am, dpb wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
It is true that for best efficiency, the furnace should be sized so
that it is just able to keep up on the coldest days. An oversized
furnace that cycles frequently will waste energy. ...
How, precisely, do you come to that conclusion? Given two otherwise
comparative units, how does size alone affect efficiency?
--
Fair enough, here are some references:
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicati.../03-109-e.html
(canada mortgage and housing corporation technical bulletin)

From which I find...

"There is no good data showing whether these higher efficiency furnaces
do save energy as a result of being properly sized"

dbp, any condensing furnace will save the near rated amount over a
noncondensing unit. or a 95% unit will save 15% over a 80% given the
same environment.

Doh!

That's not the question -- the question is how two units of the _SAME_
efficiency have any significant savings based solely on sizing.

As the conclusion of the above report states, they couldn't show a
measurable effect.

ATJaguarX January 4th 08 02:47 AM

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/Furnace...fm(homeheating
[...]

you chose, at 200-300 im guessing 15% is alot..- Hide quoted text -

Why would the builder not want to have these issues fixed? The
company that installed the windows are responsible for their
worksmanship. If the window is out of plumb, level or square, the
installers should come back out and fix it and he shouldn't be out
anything... at the least he is gaining a happy customer... or am I
wrong?

ATJaguarX January 4th 08 02:48 AM

On Jan 3, 11:33 am, dpb wrote:

Heathcliff wrote:

[...]

Chicago in 2007.- Hide quoted text -

How do I check for plumb, level or square?

ATJaguarX January 4th 08 02:49 AM

On Jan 3, 6:01*pm, dpb wrote:
ATJaguarX wrote:

[...]

I've gone through the installation manual and there is an option to
set the cycles per hour, but nothing about sensitivity.

ransley January 4th 08 04:50 AM

On Jan 3, 8:49*pm, ATJaguarX wrote:
On Jan 3, 6:01*pm, dpb wrote:

ATJaguarX wrote:

[...]

set the cycles per hour, but nothing about sensitivity.- Hide quoted text -

There must be a setting for degree setback . On my Lux it has 1- 10 ,
I have it set I think at 3 or 4 and it is not degrees, but it is not
at this location so I dont know . Modern thermostasts have this
option, read your non understandable, illogical, Chinese manual that
came with it..Or just set setback up 1 number and experement.

ATJaguarX January 4th 08 02:56 PM

On Jan 3, 6:01*pm, dpb wrote:

ATJaguarX wrote:

[...]

came with it..Or just set setback up 1 number and experement.- Hide quoted text -

Another cold night of drafty windows. Winds were blowing from the
south and the rooms on the south side of the house experienced a temp
of 66 while the thermostat was at 69.

[email protected] January 4th 08 03:01 PM

On Jan 3, 6:01�pm, dpb wrote:

ATJaguarX wrote:

[...]

of 66 while the thermostat was at 69.- Hide quoted text -

thats about normal, for most homes...

can be elminated with a variable speed furnace where the bolwer always
runs moving air around house helping to keep temperatures uniform.

ransley January 4th 08 03:12 PM

On Jan 3, 6:01*pm, dpb wrote:

ATJaguarX wrote:

[...]

If you are lucky those were Energy Star rated windows and your
complaint will be easily fixed because to get that rating they must be
the best, but I dought any new modern windows today is designed that
poorly so that you can actualy feel a leak, When my Pella leaked Pella
came out for free and fixed it, it was only 2 months old. Did you find
an air infiltration rating for them from the co that made them.