Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shower faucet anti-scald?

How do you tell if the faucet has this device or not? Until i read through
some of the other posts that mentioned this anti-scald device i wasnt even
aware that the faucets could contain such a thing. My shower goes lukewarm
after 5 minutes and I was going to pull the dip tube to check it(50 gallon
NG tank type built in 95/96 and on the list of ones with bad dip tubes)
but now I'm wondering... could it be just the shower faucet?
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric" wrote in message
. ..
How do you tell if the faucet has this device or not? Until i read through
some of the other posts that mentioned this anti-scald device i wasnt even
aware that the faucets could contain such a thing. My shower goes
lukewarm
after 5 minutes and I was going to pull the dip tube to check it(50 gallon
NG tank type built in 95/96 and on the list of ones with bad dip tubes)
but now I'm wondering... could it be just the shower faucet?
Eric

It could be the problem. Or not. The faucet manufacturer may be able to help
you ID the model and tell you more about what's inside. I'd call them and
try that before disassembling for inspection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 5:39*pm, Eric wrote:
How do you tell if the faucet has this device or not? Until i read through
some of the other posts that mentioned this anti-scald device i wasnt even
aware that the faucets could contain such a thing. *My shower goes lukewarm
after 5 minutes and I was going to pull the dip tube to check it(50 gallon
NG tank type built in 95/96 and on the list of ones with bad dip tubes)
but now I'm wondering... could it be just the shower faucet?
Eric

On some it is little more than a physical stop under all the trim
pieces, only allows so much hot and is set during install.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric wrote:
How do you tell if the faucet has this device or not? Until i read through
some of the other posts that mentioned this anti-scald device i wasnt even
aware that the faucets could contain such a thing. My shower goes lukewarm
after 5 minutes and I was going to pull the dip tube to check it(50 gallon
NG tank type built in 95/96 and on the list of ones with bad dip tubes)
but now I'm wondering... could it be just the shower faucet?
Eric

Most anti-scald shower controls are single handle. They have one handle
coming out of the wall that you turn until you get the heat you want.
Some have a second smaller handle in the middle of the big one that is
used to adjust the heat, and the big handle controls flow. If yours has
separate hot and cold handles it probably isn't an anti-scald.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 5:39�pm, Eric wrote:
How do you tell if the faucet has this device or not? Until i read through
some of the other posts that mentioned this anti-scald device i wasnt even
aware that the faucets could contain such a thing. �My shower goes lukewarm
after 5 minutes and I was going to pull the dip tube to check it(50 gallon
NG tank type built in 95/96 and on the list of ones with bad dip tubes)
but now I'm wondering... could it be just the shower faucet?
Eric

your tank is 10 years old?

just replace the tank its likely filled with crud. buy a 75,000 BTU
model for larger capacity without adding size.

know in advance that attempting to do anything to such a old tank will
likely result in a immediate or long term leak.

if stuff can be damaged by leak replace tank.

to troubleshoot run shower till it gets cold, try other faucets let
run for awahile if they are cold too its the tank.

if all others are hot its the faucet.

there are both pressure balance and temperature control faucets.

temperature control is wonderful

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 5:39*pm, Eric wrote:
How do you tell if the faucet has this device or not? Until i read through
some of the other posts that mentioned this anti-scald device i wasnt even
aware that the faucets could contain such a thing. *My shower goes lukewarm
after 5 minutes and I was going to pull the dip tube to check it(50 gallon
NG tank type built in 95/96 and on the list of ones with bad dip tubes)
but now I'm wondering... could it be just the shower faucet?
Eric

To answer your first question "How do you tell if the faucet has this
device or not?" the test is quite simple.

Turn the shower on to a lukewarm to warm temperature and hold your
hand in the flow as someone flushes the toilet. If the shower output
gets suddenly hotter as the cold water fills the toilet, it is not an
anti-scald device. An anti-scald fixture senses the change in pressure
on the cold (and/or) hot side and rebalances the output to keep the
shower temp constant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

To answer your first question "How do you tell if the faucet has this
device or not?" the test is quite simple.

Turn the shower on to a lukewarm to warm temperature and hold your
hand in the flow as someone flushes the toilet. If the shower output
gets suddenly hotter as the cold water fills the toilet, it is not an
anti-scald device. An anti-scald fixture senses the change in pressure
on the cold (and/or) hot side and rebalances the output to keep the
shower temp constant.

of course this test assumes anti scald is working..........

if its broke you still wouldnt know for sure

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 9:41*am, " wrote:
To answer your first question "How do you tell if the faucet has this
device or not?" the test is quite simple.

Turn the shower on to a lukewarm to warm temperature and hold your
hand in the flow as someone flushes the toilet. If the shower output
gets suddenly hotter as the cold water fills the toilet, it is not an
anti-scald device. An anti-scald fixture senses the change in pressure
on the cold (and/or) hot side and rebalances the output to keep the
shower temp constant.

of course this test assumes anti scald is working..........

if its broke you still wouldnt know for sure

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've never known one to fail. Do
they?

Seems kind of dangerous if they are able to fail, especially for
little kids and the elderly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 11:02�am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 3, 9:41�am, " wrote:

To answer your first question "How do you tell if the faucet has this
device or not?" the test is quite simple.

Turn the shower on to a lukewarm to warm temperature and hold your
hand in the flow as someone flushes the toilet. If the shower output
gets suddenly hotter as the cold water fills the toilet, it is not an
anti-scald device. An anti-scald fixture senses the change in pressure
on the cold (and/or) hot side and rebalances the output to keep the
shower temp constant.

of course this test assumes anti scald is working..........

if its broke you still wouldnt know for sure

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've never known one to fail. Do
they?

Seems kind of dangerous if they are able to fail, especially for
little kids and the elderly.

so whats 100% FOREVER? everything can fail........

even things designed not to fail..........