DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   grate (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/227611-grate.html)

[email protected] December 28th 07 07:45 PM

grate

I wanna fix couple things at home (seems like it's a never ending
saga)

1) I have a cooktop (as oppose to gas range) which works decent but
it's old and paint is coming off and has plenty of stain. I don't want
to replace it because then my wife wants to get a matching oven. So I
was thinking to paint the top surface and 4 grates (I can't get the
same grate from manufacturing since they are obsolete). I cleaned
grates with Ammonia but they still don't look good.

I searched home depot for metal spray paint but all paints were for
cold surface. Is there any paint out there that I can use to pain top
of cooktop and grates which gets pretty hot?

2) I wanted to paint/stain my kitchen cabinets. A few of the cabinet
door have a heavy stain. Should I resurface them with glass paper and
then stain them, would that work?

I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you,
Steve

JoeSpareBedroom December 28th 07 08:42 PM

grate

wrote in message
[...]

What is "glass paper"?

professorpaul December 28th 07 08:51 PM

grate

There are paints for automobile exhaust systems. I would think that
those would work. Check your local automotive supply house.

Malcolm Hoar December 28th 07 11:49 PM

grate

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

What is "glass paper"?

1. Another common term for sandpaper

2. More specifically, a form of sandpaper that uses an
abrasive grit made from quartz

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Kevin Ricks December 29th 07 07:13 PM

grate

wrote:
I wanna fix couple things at home (seems like it's a never ending
saga)

1) I have a cooktop (as oppose to gas range) which works decent but
it's old and paint is coming off and has plenty of stain. I don't want
to replace it because then my wife wants to get a matching oven. So I
was thinking to paint the top surface and 4 grates (I can't get the
same grate from manufacturing since they are obsolete). I cleaned
grates with Ammonia but they still don't look good.

I searched home depot for metal spray paint but all paints were for
cold surface. Is there any paint out there that I can use to pain top
of cooktop and grates which gets pretty hot?

BBQ paint or wood stove / chimney pipe paint?
You won't have much choice of colors with these I think they are all
coal black. I think I have seen the BBQ paint at HD/Lowes in the BBQ
section.
Try automotive store for engine block paint.
....Wait a quick google search [high temp paint] came up with this:
http://www.forrestpaint.com/stovebri...aerosols1.html
Kevin