DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   how long is a new home warranty? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/227433-how-long-new-home-warranty.html)

[email protected] December 27th 07 03:44 AM

how long is a new home warranty?

I lived in my house three years, and just discovered the shower pan
has been leaking because it was installed stupidly. Anything that
could be wrong about it IS wrong. While I'm looking for the warranty
paperwork, ... what's the chance of getting the builder back to rip
out the shower and build it right? If I can prove the shower pan was
put in as ignorantly as I say it was, could it be that the warranty is
irrelevant and he has to fix it anyway?

Edwin Pawlowski December 27th 07 03:58 AM

wrote in message
I lived in my house three years, and just discovered the shower pan
has been leaking because it was installed stupidly. Anything that
could be wrong about it IS wrong. While I'm looking for the warranty
paperwork, ... what's the chance of getting the builder back to rip
out the shower and build it right? If I can prove the shower pan was
put in as ignorantly as I say it was, could it be that the warranty is
irrelevant and he has to fix it anyway?

Warranty time can vary from builder to builder and state to state. Find that
paperwork.

No, he'd not have to fix it anyway. Since none of us can see how it was
installed, we can't say if it was stupid or not.

JoeSpareBedroom December 27th 07 04:01 AM

wrote in message
I lived in my house three years, and just discovered the shower pan
has been leaking because it was installed stupidly. Anything that
could be wrong about it IS wrong. While I'm looking for the warranty
paperwork, ... what's the chance of getting the builder back to rip
out the shower and build it right? If I can prove the shower pan was
put in as ignorantly as I say it was, could it be that the warranty is
irrelevant and he has to fix it anyway?

Depends on your paperwork. Any advice would be mere guesswork and conjecture
until you tell us what the paperwork says.

Calab December 27th 07 04:35 AM

wrote in message
I lived in my house three years, and just discovered the shower pan
has been leaking because it was installed stupidly. Anything that
could be wrong about it IS wrong. While I'm looking for the warranty
paperwork, ... what's the chance of getting the builder back to rip
out the shower and build it right? If I can prove the shower pan was
put in as ignorantly as I say it was, could it be that the warranty is
irrelevant and he has to fix it anyway?

In China, probably 30 days if your lucky... You are in China, right?

:)

Here in Calgary the average is 5 years, but it's not an automatic thing. You
CAN get a house without the warranty.

Oren December 27th 07 04:42 AM

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:44:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I lived in my house three years, and just discovered the shower pan
has been leaking because it was installed stupidly. Anything that
could be wrong about it IS wrong. While I'm looking for the warranty
paperwork, ... what's the chance of getting the builder back to rip
out the shower and build it right? If I can prove the shower pan was
put in as ignorantly as I say it was, could it be that the warranty is
irrelevant and he has to fix it anyway?

Chances might be good.

On Mondays I always had a wet carpet on the first floor(corner). SWMBO
used tub above..Sunday evening. Turns out a rubber collar/sleeve on a
black drain pipe was not installed correctly.

The builder in warranty, ripped the walls enough for the repair of the
pipe. They fixed it.

Your builder may speak another set of terms. Got Papers?

Phisherman December 27th 07 12:49 PM

how long is a new home warranty?

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:44:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I lived in my house three years, and just discovered the shower pan
has been leaking because it was installed stupidly. Anything that
could be wrong about it IS wrong. While I'm looking for the warranty
paperwork, ... what's the chance of getting the builder back to rip
out the shower and build it right? If I can prove the shower pan was
put in as ignorantly as I say it was, could it be that the warranty is
irrelevant and he has to fix it anyway?

My house had a one year warranty. Yours may be different, or the
builder may just fix it out of good will.

marson December 27th 07 12:53 PM

On Dec 27, 6:49 am, Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:44:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I lived in my house three years, and just discovered the shower pan
has been leaking because it was installed stupidly. Anything that
could be wrong about it IS wrong. While I'm looking for the warranty
paperwork, ... what's the chance of getting the builder back to rip
out the shower and build it right? If I can prove the shower pan was
put in as ignorantly as I say it was, could it be that the warranty is
irrelevant and he has to fix it anyway?

My house had a one year warranty. Yours may be different, or the
builder may just fix it out of good will.

Here in MN, it's dictated by state law: 2 years for everything, 10
years for major structural.

Frank December 27th 07 01:09 PM

wrote:
I lived in my house three years, and just discovered the shower pan
has been leaking because it was installed stupidly. Anything that
could be wrong about it IS wrong. While I'm looking for the warranty
paperwork, ... what's the chance of getting the builder back to rip
out the shower and build it right? If I can prove the shower pan was
put in as ignorantly as I say it was, could it be that the warranty is
irrelevant and he has to fix it anyway?

I had this problem but it only took 6 months to show up. If pan had
crack or break in it, it can take a long time for leak to show. Even
though my warranty was a year, builder refused to honor it. I found his
plumbing and tile subcontractors and worked with them and they honored
their work and fixed without cost. Later sued the builder over a
variety of things. This was a frustrating experience as builders hide
behind corporations. Settled out of court but got no money except to
use as a tax deduction. Hope you do better than me but you should know
potential problems.