Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean mold off of old wood

Hurray for mold. 0_o

I live in a somewhat unique house, in that much of it is built from
old recycled barn timbers. There is old batting on the ceiling and 2
of the walls in the bathroom. In one end of the room where the
ceiling meets the wall there appears to be some mold cropping up.
It's blue/green and fuzzy.

Now, I realize that #1 thing to do is reduce humidity. This bathroom
unfortunately has no windows and no exhaust vent. It also happens to
be the coldest room in the house because it has 2 outside walls, no
attic, it's furthest away from the boiler and it has the smallest
radiator. So whenever someone takes a shower there is lots of
condensation. I was considering replacing the existing door with a
vented or louvered one. I know it's not the be-all, but it should be
a step in the right direction (should help out with the cold mornings
too). We'll try to get a more secure trash can (dogs) and practice
leaving the door open during/after a shower.

We actually just got the roof replaced in the spring. I think I
remember seeing very small amounts of mold prior to that, but it seems
to have accelerated. I know that this sounds suspect, but the ceiling
doesn't *appear* to be wet. I haven't actually *felt* the ceiling
because I don't want to touch the mold. I'm not freaked out about it
like some people get, but I'm not going to roll around in it either.

In any event, what's the best way to remove it from old dried up wood
so that it doesn't stain/ruin/discolor the wood? And what's the best
way to keep it away?

Thanks

-Jared

Posted to alt.home.repair

"phaeton" wrote in message
[...]

I'm too tired to comment, other than to say I think you should begin
drinking heavily right away. And, what does the trash can and the stupid dog
have to do with this problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm too tired to comment, other than to say I think you should begin
drinking heavily right away. And, what does the trash can and the stupid dog
have to do with this problem?

Well that is just it. I normally hide all my beer in the trash can in
the bathroom. I have to keep the door shut because the dogs will go
in and drink it all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"phaeton" wrote in message

Now, I realize that #1 thing to do is reduce humidity. This bathroom
unfortunately has no windows and no exhaust vent. It also happens to
be the coldest room in the house because it has 2 outside walls, no
attic, it's furthest away from the boiler and it has the smallest
radiator. So whenever someone takes a shower there is lots of
condensation. I was considering replacing the existing door with a
vented or louvered one. I know it's not the be-all, but it should be
a step in the right direction

It might be a step in the wrong direction, compared to fully-enclosing
the shower, as in http://www.sunfrost.com/efficient_shower.html

Nick