Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dirt/Rust Particles in Hot water

I recently moved into a 11 year old house that has hot water radiation heat
and the hot water for the house comes from this source as well. We've been
noticing small particles of dirt/rust only from the hot water, not the cold.
We are on a Artesian well and there is a filter on the water coming from the
well.

What could be the problem?
Can I put another filter on the Hot water supply line going to the rest of
the house?

Thanks,

--
Steve
http://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveC" wrote in message
I recently moved into a 11 year old house that has hot water radiation heat
and the hot water for the house comes from this source as well. We've been
noticing small particles of dirt/rust only from the hot water, not the
cold. We are on a Artesian well and there is a filter on the water coming
from the well.

What could be the problem?
Can I put another filter on the Hot water supply line going to the rest of
the house?

I don't think the filter housings are made to take the temperature.

The solids (minerals) you see are dissolved in the water and the filter will
not catch them from the well to the water heater tank. When the water sits
in the water heater, it precipitates out and collects in the bottom of the
heater. If it is very old, it may be loaded with gunk. You may or may not
be able to flush it out. Caution: Often when the bottom valve is opened,
it won't close completely and will drip. It may be getting on to time to
replace the tank too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heating system is 11 years old.
I have done some research and found some filters and housings that will
handle up to 200 Deg F.
Thanks,

--
Steve

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"SteveC" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveC" wrote in message
Heating system is 11 years old.
I have done some research and found some filters and housings that will
handle up to 200 Deg F.
Thanks,

That will get the particles out of the rest of the house, but not cure the
problem. You may want to consider a softener too as that will remove
dissolved solids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

Can you ask the old owners about this? I'd bet you are supposed to flush
the crud out every year or so to prevent this. Maybe your furnace guy can
advise you if you ca't ask the previous owners. I'd bet that crud builds up
in your radiators over the Summer and also accumulates in the hot water tank
if you have one.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just drained some hot water off it and it was rotten and full of rust/dirt
particles. I drained off about 10 gallons. I wonder if that is enough. I
will try it again later to see if I get some more come out.

Thanks,
--
Steve

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Steve,

Can you ask the old owners about this? I'd bet you are supposed to flush
the crud out every year or so to prevent this. Maybe your furnace guy can
advise you if you ca't ask the previous owners. I'd bet that crud builds
up in your radiators over the Summer and also accumulates in the hot water
tank if you have one.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 12:27 pm, "SteveC" wrote:
I just drained some hot water off it and it was rotten and full of rust/dirt
particles. I drained off about 10 gallons. I wonder if that is enough. I
will try it again later to see if I get some more come out.

Thanks,
--
Steve

"David L. Martel" wrote in ...

Steve,

Can you ask the old owners about this? I'd bet you are supposed to flush
the crud out every year or so to prevent this. Maybe your furnace guy can
advise you if you ca't ask the previous owners. I'd bet that crud builds
up in your radiators over the Summer and also accumulates in the hot water
tank if you have one.

Dave M.- Hide quoted text -

Add that to your routine maintainance and the water heater will last
longer.
Or get real creative and plumb the drain line to a washing machine and
it will draw the bottom every time you do a load. (aftter the initial
sludge removal)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveC" wrote in message
I just drained some hot water off it and it was rotten and full of
rust/dirt particles. I drained off about 10 gallons. I wonder if that is
enough. I will try it again later to see if I get some more come out.

Try it a few more times. Flush it as long as you get particles, then do it
on a regular basis, about once a month, to keep it clean.