Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY mold test kit?

Whenever it is winter I tend to get scratchy throat prone to getting sinus
infection just sitting at home. Since I live in a rainy winter area, I
wonder if there is mold growing somewhere and leaking into the hvac.

I see DIY mold test kit online. I believe they are dishes filled with agar
gel. Can these kit really tell the difference between toxic mold versus not
so toxic ones (e.g. mold that grows on bread)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 6:53 am, "James" wrote:
Whenever it is winter I tend to get scratchy throat prone to getting sinus
infection just sitting at home. Since I live in a rainy winter area, I
wonder if there is mold growing somewhere and leaking into the hvac.

I see DIY mold test kit online. I believe they are dishes filled with agar
gel. Can these kit really tell the difference between toxic mold versus not
so toxic ones (e.g. mold that grows on bread)?

Yes a mold test kit can determine with great accurasy, the interior
conditions. The LOWES in my region also has thm for sale..maybe stores
around you will too. A three pack is under 20 bucks here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Roof Time Cincinnati wrote:

On Dec 4, 6:53 am, "James" wrote:

Whenever it is winter I tend to get scratchy throat prone to getting sinus
infection just sitting at home. Since I live in a rainy winter area, I
wonder if there is mold growing somewhere and leaking into the hvac.

I see DIY mold test kit online. I believe they are dishes filled with agar
gel. Can these kit really tell the difference between toxic mold versus not
so toxic ones (e.g. mold that grows on bread)?

Yes a mold test kit can determine with great accurasy, the interior
conditions. The LOWES in my region also has thm for sale..maybe stores
around you will too. A three pack is under 20 bucks here.

What do the test kits tell you? Indentify type of mold? What do you do
when you find mold?

Winter sinus and sore throat problems are often due to indoor (heated)
air that is too dry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 6:51 am, Norminn wrote:
Roof Time Cincinnati wrote:
On Dec 4, 6:53 am, "James" wrote:

Whenever it is winter I tend to get scratchy throat prone to getting sinus
infection just sitting at home. Since I live in a rainy winter area, I
wonder if there is mold growing somewhere and leaking into the hvac.

I see DIY mold test kit online. I believe they are dishes filled with agar
gel. Can these kit really tell the difference between toxic mold versus not
so toxic ones (e.g. mold that grows on bread)?

Yes a mold test kit can determine with great accurasy, the interior
conditions. The LOWES in my region also has thm for sale..maybe stores
around you will too. A three pack is under 20 bucks here.

What do the test kits tell you? Indentify type of mold? What do you do
when you find mold?

Winter sinus and sore throat problems are often due to indoor (heated)
air that is too dry.- Hide quoted text -

Have you ever had a pro fully inspect the furnace including the AC
coil, that would be my first step.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

Roof Time Cincinnati wrote:

On Dec 4, 6:53 am, "James" wrote:

Whenever it is winter I tend to get scratchy throat prone to getting sinus
infection just sitting at home. Since I live in a rainy winter area, I
wonder if there is mold growing somewhere and leaking into the hvac.

I see DIY mold test kit online. I believe they are dishes filled with agar
gel. Can these kit really tell the difference between toxic mold versus not
so toxic ones (e.g. mold that grows on bread)?

Yes a mold test kit can determine with great accurasy, the interior
conditions. The LOWES in my region also has thm for sale..maybe stores
around you will too. A three pack is under 20 bucks here.

What do the test kits tell you? Indentify type of mold? What do you do
when you find mold?

They work in two ways:

The first is you can just let them incubate a day or two and visually
inspect what's growing on them. This doesn't tell you much since unless
you are testing in some super sterile room, there always will be
something growing.

The second is you do the collection and then mail the dish off to the
lab (for an extra fee of course) and you'll get a report back listing
exactly what was found and the relative concentrations.

Winter sinus and sore throat problems are often due to indoor (heated)
air that is too dry.

Certainly the first thing to do would be to get a humidity gauge and see
just how dry the air is, since that is by far the most common cause of
the indicated symptoms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

Norminn wrote:

Roof Time Cincinnati wrote:

On Dec 4, 6:53 am, "James" wrote:

[...]

I can do that with a slice of bread )

The second is you do the collection and then mail the dish off to the
lab (for an extra fee of course) and you'll get a report back listing
exactly what was found and the relative concentrations.

Sounds like something that could be dangerous for amateurs, such as
getting test results that show growth of "dangerous" molds. Have spores
present and having a mold problem seem like entirely different issues to
my uneducated brain. I haven't kept up on the mold hysteria, but I
think a lot of people worry needlessly. Different story if folks are
ill or there is obvious mold/mildew growth, which often is "cured" by
correcting the moisture problem.

Winter sinus and sore throat problems are often due to indoor (heated)
air that is too dry.

Certainly the first thing to do would be to get a humidity gauge and see
just how dry the air is, since that is by far the most common cause of
the indicated symptoms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Norminn wrote:

Roof Time Cincinnati wrote:

On Dec 4, 6:53 am, "James" wrote:

[...]

Could be if you don't understand what it really means. Certainly it
would be good to know if spores for the more dangerous strains are
present, since it would dictate a higher priority to dealing with any
moisture issues.

Have spores
present and having a mold problem seem like entirely different issues to
my uneducated brain. I haven't kept up on the mold hysteria, but I
think a lot of people worry needlessly. Different story if folks are
ill or there is obvious mold/mildew growth, which often is "cured" by
correcting the moisture problem.

Correcting moisture problems and removing badly contaminated materials
can "cure" small problems with non hazardous molds, but bigger issues
involving the hazardous strains require more drastic measures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 12:09 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Norminn wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Norminn wrote:

Roof Time Cincinnati wrote:

On Dec 4, 6:53 am, "James" wrote:

[...]

involving the hazardous strains require more drastic measures.- Hide quoted text -

Mold is actually toxigenic rather toxic. The same species of mold may
actually (or may not) produce myxcotoxins based on its environment and
the substrate its growing on.

Does your home have a mositure/humidity problem or have you
experienced a recent leak?

A non-viable air sample might actually give you more useful
information, determining if you have an elevated concentration of mold
with respect to your area.

What type of HVAC system do you have in your home? Have you changed
the filters recently and when was the last time vents or ducts were
cleaned?

Hawaiimold.com

Mold Nick Home Repair 1 September 6th 05 04:27 PM
FWW Cabinet Saw Test [2/3] - "FWW Cabinet Saw Test.pdf.par2" yEnc (1/1) BobS Woodworking 1 August 25th 05 03:36 AM