Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bats in Our attic?

Is there anything that we can use to get rid of them?

Is daytime the best time to use it??

shirleyann

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shirley ann wrote:
Is there anything that we can use to get rid of them?

Is daytime the best time to use it??

shirleyann

You want to seal any openings after they leave. They can squeeze
through as little as a quarter inch opening. After they go out at
night, string lights in attic to keep from returning and do your sealing
with screen, insulation, caulk etc. Bats are generally beneficial but
sometimes rabid so you have to protect yourself because if scratched you
will need rabies shots.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 7:11 am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Shirley ann wrote:
Is there anything that we can use to get rid of them?

Is daytime the best time to use it??

shirleyann

You want to seal any openings after they leave. They can squeeze
through as little as a quarter inch opening. After they go out at
night, string lights in attic to keep from returning and do your sealing
with screen, insulation, caulk etc. Bats are generally beneficial but
sometimes rabid so you have to protect yourself because if scratched you
will need rabies shots.

Frank

I used mothballs in a sock and Amonia in a bucket to stink them out
then seal the hole, but you have to find the hole first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shirley ann" wrote in message
Is there anything that we can use to get rid of them?

Is daytime the best time to use it??

shirleyann

In addition to the tips you get for getting them out, I'd setup outdoor bat
boxes for them to move to. They are beneficial to have around, but not in
the attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnR66 wrote:

"Shirley ann" wrote in message
Is there anything that we can use to get rid of them?

Is daytime the best time to use it??

shirleyann

In addition to the tips you get for getting them out, I'd setup outdoor bat
boxes for them to move to. They are beneficial to have around, but not in
the attic.

Second that, you do want bats around since they eat a whole lot of
mosquitos and other nuscience bugs. Bats are also rarely rabid and
rarely associated with diseases, it is the rare cases where they are
that get the attention of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

NC Zoo realized the bats in their exhibit were rabid years ago. That got
quite a bit of attention.

"Pete C." wrote in message
JohnR66 wrote:

"Shirley ann" wrote in message
Is there anything that we can use to get rid of them?

Is daytime the best time to use it??

shirleyann

In addition to the tips you get for getting them out, I'd setup outdoor
bat
boxes for them to move to. They are beneficial to have around, but not in
the attic.

Second that, you do want bats around since they eat a whole lot of
mosquitos and other nuscience bugs. Bats are also rarely rabid and
rarely associated with diseases, it is the rare cases where they are
that get the attention of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 8:11 am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Shirley ann wrote:
Is there anything that we can use to get rid of them?

Is daytime the best time to use it??

shirleyann

You want to seal any openings after they leave. They can squeeze
through as little as a quarter inch opening. After they go out at
night, stringlightsin attic to keep from returning and do your sealing
with screen, insulation, caulk etc. Batsare generally beneficial but
sometimes rabid so you have to protect yourself because if scratched you
will need rabies shots.

Frank

Not sure if lights would really be a deterrent.

When I was a young lad at Boy Scout Camp we used to go down to the
lake at night and shine our flashlights up towards the bats that
always hung out over the lake. They would begin to circle, flying
closer and closer to our flashlights each time they came around. It
was only the bravest of us who would remain stationary until the bats
actually hit our flashlights with their wings.