Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to seal/insulate square ductwork?

My furnace is in a 12' X 20' storage room in my basement. Another room in
the basement that is a little larger is my Home Theater set up and my
computer desk. I have no vents open in my basement, yet the leakage from
the ductwork is enough to heat it in the winter and in the summer makes the
basement like an icebox. I have often thought that the furnace would be more
efficient if I could seal and/or insulate the square and round ductwork in
the basement. I have seen the air bubble foil wrap, but wonder if this would
be a good solution for the square ductwork? Also, how would this best be
accomplished yet still allow for duct cleaning every few years?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 04:17:22 -0500, "CraigT"
wrote:

My furnace is in a 12' X 20' storage room in my basement. Another room in
the basement that is a little larger is my Home Theater set up and my
computer desk. I have no vents open in my basement, yet the leakage from
the ductwork is enough to heat it in the winter and in the summer makes the
basement like an icebox. I have often thought that the furnace would be more
efficient if I could seal and/or insulate the square and round ductwork in
the basement. I have seen the air bubble foil wrap, but wonder if this would
be a good solution for the square ductwork? Also, how would this best be
accomplished yet still allow for duct cleaning every few years?

They sell foil covered fiberglass insulation in rolls just for that
use. You DO NOT want to use anything that is not made for this
purpose as a fire could start, at least nearest the furnace. You
apply this stuff with a special aluminum duct tape.

To make for easy cleaning, leave a few gaps where you open the ducts.
Maybe cover them with something easy to remove. A piece of this same
insul. held in place with steel wire would be one way.

1 1/16 square section lip seal source needed Wes[_2_] Metalworking 2 July 27th 07 03:32 PM
metal ductwork vs fiberglass ductwork Zack Home Repair 5 February 6th 07 01:33 AM
Insulate Ductwork? Dave Home Repair 7 February 24th 06 02:45 AM
Insulate and seal a furnace stack in the attic? damncold Home Repair 11 January 9th 06 02:39 AM
Best way to insulate ductwork Colbyt Home Repair 3 December 26th 05 08:35 PM