DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Reduce cold air through receptacles (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/222180-reduce-cold-air-through-receptacles.html)

John61 November 22nd 07 03:54 PM

Reduce cold air through receptacles

My house is 40 years old. I have sealed all cracks on stucco walls and
around windows etc. In winter, still lot of cold air comes in through
electric receptacles inside exterior walls. Is there a common way to heat
insulate them? Due to possible shock hazard, I don't want to just touch them
before getting some advice.

Thanks,

John

dpb November 22nd 07 05:04 PM

John61 wrote:
My house is 40 years old. I have sealed all cracks on stucco walls and
around windows etc. In winter, still lot of cold air comes in through
electric receptacles inside exterior walls. Is there a common way to heat
insulate them? Due to possible shock hazard, I don't want to just touch them
before getting some advice.

Sure -- depending, you can use some of the expanding foam around the
outside of the box (careful to don't use too much and blow out a wall
when it expands in a closed space), use some fiberglass or other
insulation to push in the gaps, etc., or/and go buy the little foam
covers that have cutouts for outlets, switches, etc., that will fit
behind the cover plates.

Mark Lloyd November 22nd 07 11:11 PM

Reduce cold air through receptacles

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:54:06 -0600, "John61"
wrote:

My house is 40 years old. I have sealed all cracks on stucco walls and
around windows etc. In winter, still lot of cold air comes in through
electric receptacles inside exterior walls. Is there a common way to heat
insulate them? Due to possible shock hazard, I don't want to just touch them
before getting some advice.

Thanks,

John

My parents had trouble with the cold. They used these "fake plugs"
that were supposed to keep babies from sticking things in.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin