Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reduce cold air through receptacles

My house is 40 years old. I have sealed all cracks on stucco walls and
around windows etc. In winter, still lot of cold air comes in through
electric receptacles inside exterior walls. Is there a common way to heat
insulate them? Due to possible shock hazard, I don't want to just touch them
before getting some advice.

Thanks,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John61 wrote:
My house is 40 years old. I have sealed all cracks on stucco walls and
around windows etc. In winter, still lot of cold air comes in through
electric receptacles inside exterior walls. Is there a common way to heat
insulate them? Due to possible shock hazard, I don't want to just touch them
before getting some advice.

Sure -- depending, you can use some of the expanding foam around the
outside of the box (careful to don't use too much and blow out a wall
when it expands in a closed space), use some fiberglass or other
insulation to push in the gaps, etc., or/and go buy the little foam
covers that have cutouts for outlets, switches, etc., that will fit
behind the cover plates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:54:06 -0600, "John61"
wrote:

My house is 40 years old. I have sealed all cracks on stucco walls and
around windows etc. In winter, still lot of cold air comes in through
electric receptacles inside exterior walls. Is there a common way to heat
insulate them? Due to possible shock hazard, I don't want to just touch them
before getting some advice.

Thanks,

John

My parents had trouble with the cold. They used these "fake plugs"
that were supposed to keep babies from sticking things in.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Kitchen receptacles Sammy bin Snoozin Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 September 23rd 07 05:50 PM
Switch/Receptacles? Toller Home Repair 5 August 22nd 07 04:03 AM
History of GFI Receptacles Walter R. Home Repair 13 March 10th 05 10:08 PM
Device to reduce the cold water pressure to a shower? Mike Barnard UK diy 5 October 8th 04 10:35 AM
Weak Receptacles-Cause? CooSer Home Repair 13 March 11th 04 10:28 PM