Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing color of existing wood floor?

If you have a hardwood floor that has a relatively dark color, is it
possible to sand it, then restain with a much lighter color? I guess
the question boils down to how far into the wood the stain typically
penetrates? The floor in question is solid, not engineered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 12:30 pm, wrote:
If you have a hardwood floor that has a relatively dark color, is it
possible to sand it, then restain with a much lighter color? I guess
the question boils down to how far into the wood the stain typically
penetrates? The floor in question is solid, not engineered.

I've done it with great results using an orbital style floor sander.
75% of the work was sanding the cupped planks flat. Sanding through
the stain was easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It depends on why it is dark. Varnish, for example, often darkens with
age and is easily removed. If it is a dark wood, and you can remove all
finish, it can be bleached. If it is stained, that is more of a
problem, as stain usually does not soak into the wood to a uniform
depth, so you may sand, but only remove the stain on some areas of the
floor, leaving a rather mottled look.

I would suggest you find an area that doesn't show (closets are ideal)
and try a small area and see what kind of results you get.