DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   floor protrusion when blocking joists from underneath (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/220399-floor-protrusion-when-blocking-joists-underneath.html)

[email protected] November 9th 07 03:54 AM

floor protrusion when blocking joists from underneath

Okay, maybe I'm just being paranoid but I have to ask: Today I was
cutting some blocks for between joists (i-joists) in my basement where
I am going to put up a new wall in my basement finishing project. I
cut the blocks to size, and left them just about 1/16th larger than
the opening between the joists, figuring I could wedge them in and
then they'd stay in place while I nailed them. Well, I got
interrupted and took the blocks down and quit for the day. Now, on
the floor above, I notice that the floor appears to be uneven, almost
precisely at the spot where one of the joists I was working with is
at. It happens to be where two pieces of plywood meet for the
subfloor, and over it is carpet on the 1st floor of the house. I
can't say for sure that it wasn't like that before since I don't go in
that room all that often, but I really think I would have noticed. Is
it possible that I caused this subfloor to heave just by squeezing the
blocking in between the joists today, even though it was only for a
matter of seconds? If so, how do I fix it, without tearing up the
carpet and renailing?