DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   basement stairs riser question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/220034-basement-stairs-riser-question.html)

JohnnyC November 5th 07 12:49 PM

basement stairs riser question

As part of the basement fixup, I am replacing the stairs. Currently, 2x
stock nailed to three stringers. The walls are on both sides of the
staircase. I am going to replace the 2x treads with oak treads. To
maintain the current riser height, I am putting down 3/4 plywood.
..
Before I install the oak treads, do I put the riser on first butting to the
plywood, then the oak tread -or- does the tread go down first, then the
riser goes on top of the tread?
..
Thank you for your time.

dpb November 5th 07 12:52 PM

.
Before I install the oak treads, do I put the riser on first butting to the
plywood, then the oak tread -or- does the tread go down first, then the
riser goes on top of the tread?

Either is ok. I normally do risers, then treads. Then the tread rests
on the riser and can be trimmed as needed easily and the treads cover
the lower nailing locations of the riser minimizing them.