Posted to alt.home.repair

Default basement stairs riser question

As part of the basement fixup, I am replacing the stairs. Currently, 2x
stock nailed to three stringers. The walls are on both sides of the
staircase. I am going to replace the 2x treads with oak treads. To
maintain the current riser height, I am putting down 3/4 plywood.
..
Before I install the oak treads, do I put the riser on first butting to the
plywood, then the oak tread -or- does the tread go down first, then the
riser goes on top of the tread?
..
Thank you for your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

.
Before I install the oak treads, do I put the riser on first butting to the
plywood, then the oak tread -or- does the tread go down first, then the
riser goes on top of the tread?

Either is ok. I normally do risers, then treads. Then the tread rests
on the riser and can be trimmed as needed easily and the treads cover
the lower nailing locations of the riser minimizing them.

Basement stairs Joee Woodworking 1 March 8th 07 02:26 AM
Basement Carpet for stairs... mcfriendly Home Repair 3 October 11th 06 10:43 AM
Basement stair: are 8" riser, 9" tread OK? homeowner Home Repair 30 March 4th 05 12:47 PM
Basement stairs JackRabbit Home Repair 6 February 19th 05 01:44 AM
basement stairs Rick Home Ownership 3 September 27th 04 08:07 PM