Posted to alt.home.repair

Default addidng light fixture "old work"

I am looking to some advice how to install a light fixture in a middle
of the ceiling
So far room has only the receptacle which controlled by the switch. I
am thinking
of making a round hole in the ceiling , install fan brace and run the
wire between the beams straight to the
wall making small opening to pull the wire and run it between the
studs down to the floor
Then I am planning to remove the baseboard and make small openings
close to the studs and
run wire through the studs to the receptacle.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It sounds like you're on the right track. You can also run from the ceiling
to the wall switch, if that would be more direct

"mazaltov" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to some advice how to install a light fixture in a middle
of the ceiling
So far room has only the receptacle which controlled by the switch. I
am thinking
of making a round hole in the ceiling , install fan brace and run the
wire between the beams straight to the
wall making small opening to pull the wire and run it between the
studs down to the floor
Then I am planning to remove the baseboard and make small openings
close to the studs and
run wire through the studs to the receptacle.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It wouldn't be that much harder to tap it into the receptacle, it
would look less cobbed.
You may find the top of the wall to be the biggest challenge, unless
the pitch of your roof is
pretty steep, there isn't room enough for humans and tools at the edge
above the wall.
You may luck out and find the wire for the receptacle runs from the
top down, then 2 possibilities
appear; run your wire down beside the existing wire, or just break the
wire in the attic, install a junction box
& tap it right there. If you decide to tap it at the receptacle and it
is nailed on metal box, you can cut the
nails and pull the box & replace it with a plastic new work box, maybe
even a double & have 2 outlets there.
It still will be less than ideal as you should have light and
receptacles on separate circuits, to keep a short in
a plug from leaving you in the dark.

On Oct 30, 4:20 pm, mazaltov wrote:
I am looking to some advice how to install a light fixture in a middle
of the ceiling
So far room has only the receptacle which controlled by the switch. I
am thinking
of making a round hole in the ceiling , install fan brace and run the
wire between the beams straight to the
wall making small opening to pull the wire and run it between the
studs down to the floor
Then I am planning to remove the baseboard and make small openings
close to the studs and
run wire through the studs to the receptacle.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 3:41 pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
[...]

Any advice would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

I should have mentioned that before. This is two-story hose and I am
talking about 1st floor. There is a second floor above it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 6:20 pm, mazaltov wrote:
I am looking to some advice how to install a light fixture in a middle
of the ceiling
So far room has only the receptacle which controlled by the switch. I
am thinking
of making a round hole in the ceiling , install fan brace and run the
wire between the beams straight to the
wall making small opening to pull the wire and run it between the
studs down to the floor
Then I am planning to remove the baseboard and make small openings
close to the studs and
run wire through the studs to the receptacle.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You are going to have to get the wire through the top plate of the
wall, which may require something other than a "small hole".

If the location for the light is not in line with the receptacle, you
are going to have to go through either studs or joists, unless you
down into the basement and back up. In that case, you are going to
have to go through the sill plate also - twice.

Finally, I'm a little confused about what you plan to do with the
outlet. Is it still going to be controlled by the switch or are you
going to wire it "always hot"?

I think it might be better to abandon the old wires in the wall and
wire the fixture directly to the switch. Then wire the outlet always
hot. Perhaps you can do all of that from the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 5:11 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Again, I should have mentioned that as well: I have no basement nor
attic
This is first floor or the two story house build on the concrete slab
without
crawl space.

Yes , I am planning to make wire the outlet as outlet should be
"always hot"

By a "small hole" I mean an opening made by a chisel in the top plate
between
Studs wide enough to squeeze a wire to the ceiling and then fish it
down to the floor

I can not run the new wire to the switch- there are 23 studs om my
way,
and only 3 to the outlet.

The design of the switch controlling the outlet just drives me nuts.
Who in the right mind would come with such a design? I see it very
often
and it amaze me every time. What is the history of it? Were there no
ceiling lamps in US 20-30 years ago? I don't think so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"mazaltov" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The National Electric Code requires a wall switch controlled lighting
outlet in any habitable room. The least expensive way to meet this code,
is by switching an outlet, and usually the one closest to the switch

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 9:30 pm, mazaltov wrote:
[...]

ceiling lamps in US 20-30 years ago? I don't think so.- Hide quoted text -

By a "small hole" I mean an opening made by a chisel in the top
plate between Studs wide enough to squeeze a wire to the ceiling and
then fish it down to the floor

Does this mean you are going to chisel into the face of the top plate,
place the wire in the "groove" and then patch the drywall so that the
wire is directly behind the drywall as opposed to running through a
hole in the middle of the plate? Just curious...

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 31, 12:45 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

hole in the middle of the plate? Just curious...- Hide quoted text -

If you do that you are required by code to put a steel plate over the
wire where it goes through the chiseled trough in the wood

nate