DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ground pigtails with conduit (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/219099-ground-pigtails-conduit.html)

Charles[_3_] October 28th 07 01:42 PM

Ground pigtails with conduit

I'm installing exposed EMT conduit in my garage. The whole system will
be in the conduit, which will be used for the ground. I'm unclear on
whether I'm required to run ground pigtails from outlets and switches
to the back of the boxes. It seems pointless since the ground screw on
the outlet/switch is screwed into the same physical piece of metal that
makes up the mounting flange that screws into the box. I believe I'm
okay to leave it off with the outlets because the packaging they come
in says "grounding", is that right? How about the switches, should they
say "grounding" too (these ones don't)? Thanks for any advice.

RBM October 28th 07 02:51 PM

Ground pigtails with conduit

"grounding" means that it is a three prong outlet. What you need is "self
grounding" which has a brass clip on one of the attachment screws.

DanG October 28th 07 04:41 PM

Ground pigtails with conduit

Check with your AHJ. I'm fairly sure they no longer accept
conduit ground, at least not here.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

George October 28th 07 05:05 PM

Charles wrote:
I'm installing exposed EMT conduit in my garage. The whole system will
be in the conduit, which will be used for the ground. I'm unclear on
whether I'm required to run ground pigtails from outlets and switches
to the back of the boxes. It seems pointless since the ground screw on
the outlet/switch is screwed into the same physical piece of metal that
makes up the mounting flange that screws into the box. I believe I'm
okay to leave it off with the outlets because the packaging they come
in says "grounding", is that right? How about the switches, should they
say "grounding" too (these ones don't)? Thanks for any advice.

I don't think using conduit as the equipment ground has been acceptable
for a while.

terry October 28th 07 06:54 PM

On Oct 28, 11:42 am, "Charles" wrote:
I'm installing exposed EMT conduit in my garage. The whole system will
be in the conduit, which will be used for the ground. I'm unclear on
whether I'm required to run ground pigtails from outlets and switches
to the back of the boxes. It seems pointless since the ground screw on
the outlet/switch is screwed into the same physical piece of metal that
makes up the mounting flange that screws into the box. I believe I'm
okay to leave it off with the outlets because the packaging they come
in says "grounding", is that right? How about the switches, should they
say "grounding" too (these ones don't)? Thanks for any advice.

--

Not sure about your jurisdiction but am of opinion that use of the
conduit as the grounding conductor is not now acceptable in most

Wayne Whitney October 28th 07 07:55 PM

On 2007-10-28, terry wrote:

Not sure about your jurisdiction but am of opinion that use of the
conduit as the grounding conductor is not now acceptable in most
places in North America.

Conduit as the EGC is recognized by the NEC, and in fact if the
conduit installation is done properly, there are studies suggesting it
is a better conductor than a copper wire EGC. Of course, that's the
rub, each conduit connection has to be made up properly, while a
copper wire EGC is continuous from box to box.

Cheers, Wayne

RBM October 28th 07 08:40 PM

Ground pigtails with conduit

As a practical matter, I prefer to pull en egc, so I don't have to be
concerned about loose fittings, however NEC 250.118 lists EMT as an
acceptable method.

Charles[_3_] October 29th 07 03:30 AM

DanG wrote:

Check with your AHJ. I'm fairly sure they no longer accept conduit
ground, at least not here.

The inspector specifically told me I could use the conduit as ground.
If you don't, do you run a ground wire for every circuit? I'm running
as many as 4 pairs through some sections. Running 4 more ground wires
would be killer. It would force me to double up conduit or go to
larger diameter.

I found outlets that specifically said that they were properly grounded
when attached to a grounded box. Is there an equivalent thing for
switches? I couldn't find it. Some boxes are just so darned packed
with stuff that not having to deal with ground wires makes a big
difference. (those #@^&# GFCI's take up tons of voume!)

What's the point of grounding a switch anyway?