Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ground pigtails with conduit

I'm installing exposed EMT conduit in my garage. The whole system will
be in the conduit, which will be used for the ground. I'm unclear on
whether I'm required to run ground pigtails from outlets and switches
to the back of the boxes. It seems pointless since the ground screw on
the outlet/switch is screwed into the same physical piece of metal that
makes up the mounting flange that screws into the box. I believe I'm
okay to leave it off with the outlets because the packaging they come
in says "grounding", is that right? How about the switches, should they
say "grounding" too (these ones don't)? Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"grounding" means that it is a three prong outlet. What you need is "self
grounding" which has a brass clip on one of the attachment screws.

"Charles" wrote in message
I'm installing exposed EMT conduit in my garage. The whole system will
be in the conduit, which will be used for the ground. I'm unclear on
whether I'm required to run ground pigtails from outlets and switches
to the back of the boxes. It seems pointless since the ground screw on
the outlet/switch is screwed into the same physical piece of metal that
makes up the mounting flange that screws into the box. I believe I'm
okay to leave it off with the outlets because the packaging they come
in says "grounding", is that right? How about the switches, should they
say "grounding" too (these ones don't)? Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles wrote:
I'm installing exposed EMT conduit in my garage. The whole system will
be in the conduit, which will be used for the ground. I'm unclear on
whether I'm required to run ground pigtails from outlets and switches
to the back of the boxes. It seems pointless since the ground screw on
the outlet/switch is screwed into the same physical piece of metal that
makes up the mounting flange that screws into the box. I believe I'm
okay to leave it off with the outlets because the packaging they come
in says "grounding", is that right? How about the switches, should they
say "grounding" too (these ones don't)? Thanks for any advice.

I don't think using conduit as the equipment ground has been acceptable
for a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Not sure about your jurisdiction but am of opinion that use of the
conduit as the grounding conductor is not now acceptable in most

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-10-28, terry wrote:

Not sure about your jurisdiction but am of opinion that use of the
conduit as the grounding conductor is not now acceptable in most
places in North America.

Conduit as the EGC is recognized by the NEC, and in fact if the
conduit installation is done properly, there are studies suggesting it
is a better conductor than a copper wire EGC. Of course, that's the
rub, each conduit connection has to be made up properly, while a
copper wire EGC is continuous from box to box.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

As a practical matter, I prefer to pull en egc, so I don't have to be
concerned about loose fittings, however NEC 250.118 lists EMT as an
acceptable method.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:

Check with your AHJ. I'm fairly sure they no longer accept conduit
ground, at least not here.

The inspector specifically told me I could use the conduit as ground.
If you don't, do you run a ground wire for every circuit? I'm running
as many as 4 pairs through some sections. Running 4 more ground wires
would be killer. It would force me to double up conduit or go to
larger diameter.

I found outlets that specifically said that they were properly grounded
when attached to a grounded box. Is there an equivalent thing for
switches? I couldn't find it. Some boxes are just so darned packed
with stuff that not having to deal with ground wires makes a big
difference. (those #@^&# GFCI's take up tons of voume!)

What's the point of grounding a switch anyway?

Red Hot Squirrels Ate My Pigtails Sean Inglis[_2_] UK diy 8 August 14th 07 11:54 PM
Bonded ground wires vs. earth ground wire Eigenvector Home Repair 21 December 28th 06 05:31 PM
Blocked Conduit - Need to See in 3/4" Conduit - Fibre optic Camera? Scott Townsend Home Repair 15 October 15th 06 06:35 PM
pigtails? donald girod Home Repair 7 November 23rd 04 01:43 PM
Use pigtails on receptacle Yi Jin Home Repair 11 June 14th 04 06:24 PM