Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honda HRB216HXA Clutch cable replace

I am attempting to replace the drive clutch cable on my HRB216HXA
which broke. Mower is 8 or 9 years old and never had to be repaired
for anything. From what I can see, I have to remove a piece of the
decking underneath the mower to get to the cable. When I try to remove
the bolt that holds it on, it just spins. Now this is a stupid
question I know, but is there a regular nut on the backside of the
bolt?? Or some special type of nut?? I can't get a wrench on
anything. When I use a small mirror to look behind there it's hard to
tell. Wondering if the nut just rusted away to almost nothing, or if
a special tool is required to remove this thing?? Anyone know??
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 12:34 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:35:08 -0700, Slowpoke wrote:
I am attempting to replace the drive clutch cable on my HRB216HXA
which broke. Mower is 8 or 9 years old and never had to be repaired
for anything. From what I can see, I have to remove a piece of the
decking underneath the mower to get to the cable. When I try to remove
the bolt that holds it on, it just spins. Now this is a stupid
question I know, but is there a regular nut on the backside of the
bolt?? Or some special type of nut?? I can't get a wrench on
anything. When I use a small mirror to look behind there it's hard to
tell. Wondering if the nut just rusted away to almost nothing, or if
a special tool is required to remove this thing?? Anyone know??
Thanks

Wouldn't be a special tool. The nut may have rusted away due to moisture
and lawn fertilizer. You may have to chisel the head of the bolt off if
you can't get anything on the other end. Not knowing how far in the nut is
I can't suggest much more. If it is a nut that has rusted your chances
aren't good that you'll get it off anyway. Maybe soak it with some PB
Blaster and grab it with long nosed Vice Grip?

The bolt head is up in a hole, and can't get to the nut to chisel it
off. Have to get a mirror to even see it, or what's left of it. I
have sprayed it with WD40. Will probably have to get a pair of right
angle needle nose pliers to be able to get in there to try to hold
it. It's up over and behind a lip. Yeah, I'm not worried about
saving the nut and bolt. Just trying to figure some way of getting it
off. Thanks for replying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.cnd-industry.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 4:20 pm, tomris wrote:
http://www.cnd-industry.com/

I just went through this on my HRM215, so your's may be similar. I
presume the piece your talking about is the small section of the rear
deck that covers the tranny and that's in the area of the rear
discharge chute, which is plugged when you mulch?

If that's it, then on my 215, the nut is in the bottom of the
discharge chute. And that's the probelm, because that area probably
remains wet more than any other, so the nut rusts. Mine was a real
bitch. And the other bad news is it's a special nut, with a flat
metal piece on it that fits into the plastic chute bottom to keep it
from turning. I torqued it so much, the metal piece finally popped
out above the plastic. Then I could barely get a vice grip on it.
I was just hoping the damn thing would snap, but of course, the ones
you want to snap won't.

I finally got it off, but the bolt and nut are shot.

My opinion of Honda went way down after this experience. It's been a
super mower for about 7 years, no problems. I used it to cut less
than 10K sq ft. And now the tranny is shot. A new one is $130, so
I'm still debating whether to fix it or sell it for parts. But it
does a better job of cutting and mulching than any mower I've ever
had. I'm using a brand new Sears at the moment, and while it's
clearly more powerful, it doesn't leave the lawn with anywhere as nice
a cut as the 2 blade Honda system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 7:27 pm, wrote:
On Oct 26, 4:20 pm, tomris wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much for this information. You are exactly right. And I
really am a nut, I hadn't taken the mulching plug out and that's why
I was having so much trouble getting to it. With the plug out, there
it sits and at least I have a fighting chance!! What remains of the
nut, which is not much, just spins I'm soaking it down in PB Blaster
tonight as the person above suggested, and I'll wrestle with it again
tomorrow. Maybe I can get some vice grips on it now. Hopefully if I
can get that cover off, the cable removal will be easier, but I don't
know with this design. I might just go back to Toro next time. Got
about 17 years out of the last one with no problems, just totally
wore it out. Heard so much about the Honda I had to try one. I have
to admit though, it does leave the lawn looking nice! Thanks again!!