Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom exhaust fan Q

Is it normal to have some air coming in from the fan into the
bathroom. I have a screen at the end of the exhaust pipe and there is
a flapper damper at the fan itself, factory installed. I cant really
use a sophet vent because it restricts the air flow and causes a
whistling sound when running. There was still air coming in that way
too, but not as much. Had to be windier. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 11:43 pm, wrote:
Is it normal to have some air coming in from the fan into the
bathroom. I have a screen at the end of the exhaust pipe and there is
a flapper damper at the fan itself, factory installed. I cant really
use a sophet vent because it restricts the air flow and causes a
whistling sound when running. There was still air coming in that way
too, but not as much. Had to be windier. Thanks!

I think I can assume this condition is when not running. ; )
Cooler air will give you a draft (heavier air).

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 11, 5:47 am, wrote:
On Oct 10, 11:43 pm, wrote:

Is it normal to have some air coming in from the fan into the
bathroom. I have a screen at the end of the exhaust pipe and there is
a flapper damper at the fan itself, factory installed. I cant really
use a sophet vent because it restricts the air flow and causes a
whistling sound when running. There was still air coming in that way
too, but not as much. Had to be windier. Thanks!

I think I can assume this condition is when not running. ; )
Cooler air will give you a draft (heavier air).

Did you put in a s curve in the flex line or whatever you used to duct
as this will cut backdraft alot

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 12:43 am, wrote:
Is it normal to have some air coming in from the fan into the
bathroom. I have a screen at the end of the exhaust pipe and there is
a flapper damper at the fan itself, factory installed. I cant really
use a sophet vent because it restricts the air flow and causes a
whistling sound when running. There was still air coming in that way
too, but not as much. Had to be windier. Thanks!

It's not unusual, unfortunately. A couple of reasons. The spring
loaded damper at the outlet is a cheap piece and loses its seal. The
vent pipe is also a thermal short circuit to the outside air. They're
usually run through unheated spaces and consequently the air inside
loses its heat and the cold air looks for a lower spot to go lie
down. Namely, your bathroom.

Bathroom exhaust goes where? [email protected] Home Ownership 8 December 28th 05 03:37 PM
Bathroom Exhaust Fan James Repetski Home Repair 6 November 1st 05 02:35 AM
Bathroom Exhaust Fan al Home Repair 8 June 8th 05 10:53 PM
Bathroom Exhaust twfsa Home Repair 1 April 6th 05 10:30 PM
Bathroom Exhaust Fan [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 29th 04 02:17 AM