Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater ignited problem?

I have a Rheem 21vp50-1: Gas, blower, electic igniter.

It stopped producing hot water yesterday. I think the problem is the
igniter, but wanted to confirm my suspicion before buying an
ignitor.

After turning the heater on/off many times, reading the diagram, and
playing around, this is what happens:

1) turn ON switch
2) blower starts
3) vaccuum switch causes controller to click (disconnecting hose
prevents this)
4) gas valve turns on (won't happen until after #3). I can smell the
gas.
5) a controller clicks follows-I think this is for the igniter.
6) After ~20 seconds, it repeats 3-5, but no spark, glow or flame ever
occurs

It seems like the controller is doing the right thing.
About 1.5 years ago the controller was replaced, but the igniter was
not.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to test the igniter.
Perhaps I'll put a volt meter across the igniter inputs.

Any help is appreciated.

Kitt

Posted to alt.home.repair

check ignitor for continuity , if infinite or open , its bad

wrote:
I have a Rheem 21vp50-1: Gas, blower, electic igniter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 11:58 am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for you input. The ignitor did not have continuity. I ordered
a replacement and now I have hot water.
By the way, on the replacement (not OEM), the screw hole was not quite
in the right place so I had to bend it and drill a new hole. This put
the ignitor in the approximate place the old one was mounted.

Thanks.
Kitt

Water Heater Problem Eric Home Repair 13 March 12th 06 11:36 PM
Hot water heater problem. Amun Home Repair 1 August 25th 05 08:36 PM
Water Heater: Slow Heating Of Water Problem. Draining/Flushing Help ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 March 22nd 05 02:28 AM
Water Heater Problem? Les Home Repair 8 August 18th 04 10:40 PM
Water heater problem ChrisM UK diy 1 June 22nd 04 10:32 PM