Posted to alt.home.repair

Default STEPS TO CELLAR

thie is an OLD house, the cellar has an ODD way of getting down into
it by way of a bad set of steps. Three steps down then turn right and
have to BEND under a beam and go down another four to the dirt floor.
I want to try a spiral type unit in this very tight space. ANY drawing
and how to would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lance" wrote in message
ps.com...
thie is an OLD house, the cellar has an ODD way of getting down into
it by way of a bad set of steps. Three steps down then turn right and
have to BEND under a beam and go down another four to the dirt floor.
I want to try a spiral type unit in this very tight space. ANY drawing
and how to would be appreciated.

Lemme guess- an older urban house on a narrow lot, and the stairs are
crammed between lot line or driveway to unattached garage, and the house
itself?

Any reason you can't make the outside stairwell pit deeper, and enlarge the
opening through the wall for a proper entry door?

I'd make a dimensioned diagram (x,y, and z axes) and take some photos, and
visit nearest precast concrete products dealer. Odds are they have something
in the catalog that would work.

I would recommend getting professional input on the design. We can't see
your house from here, and there may be reasons it was built the way it was.
Even if you feel ambitious enough to do the demo of the old stairwell and
the digging, I'd strongly recommend getting a pro to assist with the
install. Outside stairwells are notorious for leaking and frost-heaving, and
providing flooding paths into the basement. (hence the ugly shanty covering
the basement stairs on lots of old houses. )Experience with local soil
conditions helps a lot in determining the best approach to take for your
application. 'Get expert help' applies even more, if you need a site-built
custom stairwell, either poured or laid up from block. Don't forget the
drain at the bottom.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 5:59 pm, lance wrote:
thie is an OLD house, the cellar has an ODD way of getting down into
it by way of a bad set of steps. Three steps down then turn right and
have to BEND under a beam and go down another four to the dirt floor.
I want to try a spiral type unit in this very tight space. ANY drawing
and how to would be appreciated.

If you need to pull a permit for the job, you will be in for a big
job. The code will require all kinds of things that probably won't
work without major reconstruction, rise/run, headroom, etc.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 9:55 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
"lance" wrote in message

ps.com... thie is an OLD house, the cellar has an ODD way of getting down into
[...]

Thanks and I should of explained better. These step ARE infact on the
inside of the house. No outside entry. Is there a way I can send a few
pictures on this group thing or to you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Oct, 10:35, lance wrote:
On Oct 1, 9:55 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:

"lance" wrote in message

ups.com... thie is an OLD house, the cellar has an ODD way of getting down into
[...]

pictures on this group thing or to you?- Hide quoted text -

Pictures can't be attached to posts in this group, but can be posted
at any of the various on-line picture sharing sites. You then simply
post a link to the pctures/album in this newsgroup.

STEPS TO CELLAR lance Home Repair 0 October 2nd 07 01:58 AM
Reasonable Price for set of 3 steps, was : Replace Dangerous Side Steps. mm Home Repair 2 March 27th 07 04:57 PM
Tanking a cellar Appin UK diy 0 May 6th 05 01:29 PM
winer cellar in house with no cellar Fred UK diy 12 November 24th 04 12:25 AM
Flooded Cellar Stormin Mormon Home Repair 5 September 11th 04 01:52 AM