DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Linoleum flooring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/216072-linoleum-flooring.html)

Dick Adams[_2_] September 30th 07 04:59 AM

Linoleum flooring

My mistress and I are hoping that we can close on the
sale of our house within a week after our youngest son
graduates from high school in May of 2009. To that end
I am dealing with all problems that have been neglected
for the last five years in which I have been disabled.

The linoleum flooring in the basemant needs to be
replaced. Since it has nick and gouges, I need advice
as to how to prepare the surface for new linoleum.
I'm looking at 1600 sq ft.

Dick

Phisherman September 30th 07 11:31 AM

Linoleum flooring

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 03:59:32 +0000 (UTC), (Dick
Adams) wrote:

My mistress and I are hoping that we can close on the
sale of our house within a week after our youngest son
graduates from high school in May of 2009. To that end
I am dealing with all problems that have been neglected
for the last five years in which I have been disabled.

The linoleum flooring in the basemant needs to be
replaced. Since it has nick and gouges, I need advice
as to how to prepare the surface for new linoleum.
I'm looking at 1600 sq ft.

Dick

Best to leave the basement as is and concentrate on your curb appeal,
clean up, and decluttering. Ask a real estate agent.

Al Bundy October 2nd 07 03:31 PM

Linoleum flooring

(Dick Adams) wrote in news:fdn6v4$g3m$1
@reader1.panix.com:

My mistress and I are hoping that we can close on the
sale of our house within a week after our youngest son
graduates from high school in May of 2009. To that end
I am dealing with all problems that have been neglected
for the last five years in which I have been disabled.

The linoleum flooring in the basemant needs to be
replaced. Since it has nick and gouges, I need advice
as to how to prepare the surface for new linoleum.
I'm looking at 1600 sq ft.

Dick

Not advising on whether to do it or not. See other replies.

To answer your question, they usually cover it with thin plywood or luan
and work from there. Personally, I don't like to raise the floor. I
skimcoat the floor with products made for this to fill in the old
pattern, nicks, loose pcs removed.. Even with plywood, skimcoating is
recommended. Over time any lines, depressions, etc. will show through.

Here's a Family Handyman article on the subject.

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18189