Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Makita Battery Charging Problem

Hi!

I just bought a Makita BDF452HW about two or three months ago and
having a problem charging the battery. The one battery charges fine,
but when I put the other battery in, the charger lights flash green
and red alternately. From what I can see, this means that the battery
is broke.

The battery model number is bl1815. I was wondering if there was a
simple way I can "reset" the battery to fix this. I bought the drill
from home depot and I suppose I could go back there, but I doubt they
will do anything to help me. I also could not find a customer service
email on the Makita page. There's service centers, but I would hate
to bring the battery there because it is a drive from my house.

Thanks in advanced for any help!
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ransley wrote:

also best to let a pack rest a day before recharging constant use is
hard on it.

Pretty much make the tool worthless, wouldn't it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 10:40 am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
Hi!

I just bought a Makita BDF452HW about two or three months ago and
having a problem charging the battery. The one battery charges fine,
but when I put the other battery in, the charger lights flash green
and red alternately. From what I can see, this means that the battery
is broke.

Battery infant mortality is a fairly common problem. Should be
replaceable under warranty. Normally box retailers don't do warranty
service but you might get them to trade the whole thing out if you try.
Otherwise, whatever Makita says for warranty service rules...

--

Its easy to kill a battery, a Nicads are discharged just when the
drill slows, running it down more can reverse a cells polarity, it is
also best to let a pack rest a day before recharging constant use is
hard on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

ransley wrote:

also best to let a pack rest a day before recharging constant use is
hard on it.

Pretty much make the tool worthless, wouldn't it?

--

Pretty much. Also one of the reasons everyone has moved away from ni-cd
batteries for cordless tools. I think most are ni-mh now with lithium

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:

also best to let a pack rest a day before recharging constant use is
hard on it.

Pretty much make the tool worthless, wouldn't it?

You just need a battery of batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

dpb writes:

also best to let a pack rest a day before recharging constant use is
hard on it.

Pretty much make the tool worthless, wouldn't it?

You just need a battery of batteries.

IMO,letting the pack rest for say,30 minutes(enough to cool down,if overly
warm),before recharging,is sufficient.
"rest a day" is a waste of time.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/22/2007 7:13 PM Jim Yanik said the following:
Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

dpb writes:

also best to let a pack rest a day before recharging constant use is
hard on it.

Pretty much make the tool worthless, wouldn't it?

You just need a battery of batteries.

IMO,letting the pack rest for say,30 minutes(enough to cool down,if overly
warm),before recharging,is sufficient.
"rest a day" is a waste of time.

My wife just bought 2 new battery packs for a Ryobi 12v drill. The
instructions said to 'condition the battery' by charging the battery for
4 days with a day of rest between each charge!

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

SteveB wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
ransley wrote:

also best to let a pack rest a day before recharging constant use is
hard on it.

Pretty much make the tool worthless, wouldn't it?

I have an OLD Makita 9.6v. drill. I have had these things since they
were new, and have used up at least a dozen of them, wearing many of
them out from commercial use. A few died from falls from the top of
carports and second story windows.

I now have one of the survivors with FOUR batteries. It takes two
chargers and four batteries to get a days work done. And a ****er
when you have six screws to go and not a battery in the crew up to
the job.

One of these days, I am going to take my long handled ball peen
hammer and have an orgasmic good time killing the whole lot of them.
Then I'll drive to the borg and buy a decent drill.

I guess Granny's on life support, and it's time to pull the plug.

Steve

Have had one of those for many years also. Have bought other drills after
using up Makita batts but always seem to go back to the 9.6 and new batts.
Like an old girlfriend I just can't seem to dump.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Yanik wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

dpb writes:

also best to let a pack rest a day before recharging constant use is
hard on it.
Pretty much make the tool worthless, wouldn't it?

You just need a battery of batteries.

IMO,letting the pack rest for say,30 minutes(enough to cool down,if overly
warm),before recharging,is sufficient.
"rest a day" is a waste of time.

Ayup...

The charger w/ the Milwaukee has a temperature sensor built in as I
suppose most better/higher-priced units do. Cheaper, probably "not so
much"...so, I stick it on the charger, when it's cool enough, it starts
charging...