Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure Assisted Toilets

I posted about this some time back. We had the house secured with
piers but but raised as this would have been more expensive and would
have possibly caused damage to the house. As it is, the outside brick
is not cracked and the sheetrock is intact so we decided to leave well
enough alone.

The only problem is that we do have a sag in our sewer line under the
house as a result of settling. The toilet works fine most of the time
and I have to clear the line periodically as a part of routine
maintenance. Since the toilet is emptying into standing water so it's
having to displace water, I was wondering if a pressure assisted
toilet might work better. The toilet always flushes slowly and it's
in our guest bath, also my wife's bath the rest of the time.

I was thinking that a higher tank would create more pressure during
the flush because of the higher elevation of the water level but maybe
the pressure assisted would be even better.

What do you think?

BradMM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 11:27 am, BradMM wrote:
I posted about this some time back. We had the house secured with
piers but but raised as this would have been more expensive and would
have possibly caused damage to the house. As it is, the outside brick
is not cracked and the sheetrock is intact so we decided to leave well
enough alone.

Sorry, can't edit my typos! We didn't have it raised, only
stabilized, with piers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BradMM wrote:
[...]

Doubt it. Any velocity increase in the tloilet bowl
will likely be lost as the waste traverses the length
of the bhouse sewer.

Is this a slab house with the house sewer running
down the middle?

Here's a low-budget experiment. Often, the new
soft toilet papers "clump up" in low spots. If you
suspect that may be happening, switch to old "scratchy"
stuff for a few weeks.

After that, I would be looking for ways to re-route
the sewer beyond the slab perimeter if possible.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 11:40 am, Speedy Jim wrote:
BradMM wrote:
[...]

Yes, this is a 80's house built on a slab and the problem line runs
underneath. We had a camera run down the line so it's not roots, just
the sag.

After clearing the line yesterday, the problem persisted so I think
there's a clog between the bowl and the line. I was just going to buy
a snake and clean it out. THEN I got to thinking about the pressure
assist. I think my wife would like the higher seat (like we used to
have) so I may at least just replace the toilet with the higher seat
and, as a result, higher tank (I assume). Of course, at .433 psi per
foot of elevation change, it might not make much difference. Maybe
I'll stick with the quick and dirty fix... get the snake!

Thanks for the reply!

Posted to alt.home.repair

BradMM wrote:
[...]

Didn't work. I gotta pull the thing out to see what's blocking it. I
thought about replacing the toilet since I have to take it off anyway
but, with this problem, I hate to go from 4 gal/flush to 1.6 gal/
flush! I think it might make my problem worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I can tell you that the pressure assisted with the Sloan valve flush really
well but they can detect back pressure and if they think something is wrong
they stop flushing mid flush. Excellent feature to prevent overflows but in
your case it might prevent them from flushing unless you get the water out
of your pipe.

ps.com...

Fan Assisted Radiators Chalkie UK diy 14 February 23rd 07 10:20 PM
Fan assisted radiator Andrew Mawson UK diy 23 June 14th 06 06:13 PM
Solar assisted A / C [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 15th 05 09:57 AM
Fan Assisted Oven m.cottam1 UK diy 3 February 3rd 05 09:06 AM
Toilets... dirty stinking toilets! dougga Home Repair 6 October 27th 04 06:56 PM