Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deadbolt - repair or replace?

The deadbolt on my entry door has a problem. It no longer retracts fully
into the door when the key is turned, at least not every time. It retracts
enough to allow the door to be opened, but not far enough to allow it to be
locked again with the key or the interior latchknob.

When I unlock the deadbolt, whether with the key or with the little interior
latchknob, it always opens. But when I go through the door and attempt to
relock the deadbolt, much of the time I find it hasn't retracted all the way
and the key/latchknob will not now work in the locking direction. I have to
open the door and push the deadbolt into the door with my hand. Then the
key/latchknob works fine.

Is this something that can be repaired more easily or cheaply than replacing
the deadbolt mechanism? I've lubricated the deadbolt, btw. That had no
effect on the problem, and there's never any stiffness about the turning
action anyway. Ideas?

Jim Beaver

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
When I unlock the deadbolt, whether with the key or with the little
interior latchknob, it always opens. But when I go through the door and
attempt to relock the deadbolt, much of the time I find it hasn't
retracted all the way and the key/latchknob will not now work in the
locking direction. I have to open the door and push the deadbolt into the
door with my hand. Then the key/latchknob works fine.

Is this something that can be repaired more easily or cheaply than
replacing the deadbolt mechanism? I've lubricated the deadbolt, btw.
That had no effect on the problem, and there's never any stiffness about
the turning action anyway. Ideas?

Take it to a locksmith. He will either fix it in no time at all, or tell
you it is a goner and sell you a quality setup. Probably a worn part on the
mechanism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Take the lock apart, and you may find that the internal part that couples key
motion to bolt motion is bent or twisted. Straighten or replace the damaged
parts.

Bob