Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dumb plumbing supply question...

What do you call the fitting that goes around water pipes to cover the
huge holes left in cabinets for the plumbing?

Is there something I can buy to close these holes? Right now, I have
socks stuffed in all of them, and it's not working. Not one opening in
my house was closed and it's just a highway for bugs. I have a phobia
about bugs, and really need some help.

Barbara
Posted to alt.home.repair

chicagofan wrote:
What do you call the fitting that goes around water pipes to cover the
huge holes left in cabinets for the plumbing?

Is there something I can buy to close these holes? Right now, I have
socks stuffed in all of them, and it's not working. Not one opening in
my house was closed and it's just a highway for bugs. I have a phobia
about bugs, and really need some help.

Barbara

Called "wall flange" or "floor flange".
Alternate name: "escutcheon".

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...r-flanges.aspx

If you're really concerned about the bugs, caulk the hole
before fitting the flange.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 11:53 am, chicagofan wrote:
What do you call the fitting that goes around water pipes to cover the
huge holes left in cabinets for the plumbing?

Is there something I can buy to close these holes? Right now, I have
socks stuffed in all of them, and it's not working. Not one opening in
my house was closed and it's just a highway for bugs. I have a phobia
about bugs, and really need some help.

Barbara

Escutcheon. If the pipes are in already you'll need a splittable kind
to go around, (the chrome ones go on before you solder the pipes by
the plumber).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Sep, 13:00, Speedy Jim wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
What do you call the fitting that goes around water pipes to cover the
huge holes left in cabinets for the plumbing?

Is there something I can buy to close these holes? Right now, I have
socks stuffed in all of them, and it's not working. Not one opening in
my house was closed and it's just a highway for bugs. I have a phobia
about bugs, and really need some help.

Barbara

Called "wall flange" or "floor flange".
Alternate name: "escutcheon".

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...r-flanges.aspx

Jim suggested:

- If you're really concerned about the bugs, caulk the hole before
fitting the flange.

If the holes really are "huge" (your word) it might be hard caulk
them. You might want to try some low-expanding foam such as Great
Stuff.
Here's a video from www.dowgreatstuff.com:

http://tinyurl.com/3clk9d

Posted to alt.home.repair

old license plate and tin snips.

"chicagofan" wrote in message
What do you call the fitting that goes around water pipes to cover the
huge holes left in cabinets for the plumbing?

Barbara

Posted to alt.home.repair

chicagofan wrote:
What do you call the fitting that goes around water pipes to cover the
huge holes left in cabinets for the plumbing?
Is there something I can buy to close these holes?

Called "wall flange" or "floor flange".
Alternate name: "escutcheon".

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...r-flanges.aspx

Thanks for the link to see what's available, and the name. I needed to
be sure of that to discuss it with a plumber. I'd like to measure what
I need and hopefully they will come with the supplies needed to do the
job. I've had some surprises about what plumbers no longer carry on
their trucks, etc., considering much simpler stuff.

Jim suggested:

- If you're really concerned about the bugs, caulk the hole before
fitting the flange.

If the holes really are "huge" (your word) it might be hard caulk
them. You might want to try some low-expanding foam such as Great
Stuff.
Here's a video from www.dowgreatstuff.com:

http://tinyurl.com/3clk9d

This is a great idea! The holes are large enough the foam might be
better. I'll stress that when I talk to someone and see which they
think would be better. I've decided I probably couldn't handle it,
because I'm old enough to have a problem gripping things, and of course
all these places are hard to reach.

I want to thank all of you who responded, and I'm glad to see the sense
of humor that is needed everywhere. I've always found this newsgroup to
be one of the most useful that I read. Thanks again...

Barbara