Posted to alt.home.repair
dw dw is offline

Default Shower tile help

The tiles in my shower are coming loose. It is on an outside wall What do I
need to do to repair/replace them. Do I use greenboard, concreteboard or
something else as a backer. It looks like the builder used drywall. What do
I use to reattach the tiles, mastic, thinset....?

Any help or websites is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 29, 11:36 am, "dw" wrote:
The tiles in my shower are coming loose. It is on an outside wall What do I
need to do to repair/replace them. Do I use greenboard, concreteboard or
something else as a backer. It looks like the builder used drywall. What do
I use to reattach the tiles, mastic, thinset....?

Any help or websites is appreciated. Thanks

Head for your library. Take home a bunch of books on tile and read
them. More modern books will have best info on current techniques, so
check copyright dates to screen out the ones published in the early
20th century. Then cruise the book racks at the box stores for
additional tomes you might want to buy and keep. While there, now that
you're somewhat informed, look over the products themselves and if the
clerk isn't too hassled and seems knowledgeable, ask some more
questions about tiling mistique. A Google search will always turn up
items of interest but you may already have done that. Dedicated tile
stores where the pros shop should be on your list of visits, too.
Keep in mind that from what you have described your project is a lot
more serious than just pasting a few tiles back on the wall. All of us
have had to deal with Pandora's Box situations resulting from
substandard materials and workmanship. It's hard to be be brave in
that circumsatnce, especially when SWMBO is carrying on about why it
costs so much and takes so long, so approach it with some knowledge
and a realistic outlook and you'll do OK..Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

dw wrote:
The tiles in my shower are coming loose. It is on an outside wall
What do I need to do to repair/replace them. Do I use greenboard,
concreteboard or something else as a backer. It looks like the
builder used drywall. What do I use to reattach the tiles, mastic,
thinset....?

Cement board/thinset

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Tub/Shower Tile Shelley Home Repair 2 April 19th 07 04:17 AM
tile shower pans cm Home Repair 0 April 2nd 07 03:26 AM
Leaking Tile Shower [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 31st 05 11:51 PM
Shower tile fish Home Repair 1 July 2nd 05 05:54 PM
Can I lay tile on top of existing tile in a shower? orangetrader Home Repair 2 March 26th 05 02:28 PM