Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default venting a bathroom fan

one of my projects this fall is to update the wiring upstairs in my
house. I plan on replacing all the ceiling boxes with fan-rated ones,
dropping 14/3 switch legs to all the wall boxes for fans, and replacing
all wiring with 14/3 Romex. Also pulling one new 14/2 homerun to
provide for two separate general circuits (original homerun is 14/2 BX
so it is grounded and doesn't need to be redone) and a 12/2 homerun for
the bathroom. While I'm at it I would like to add a ventilation fan in
the bathroom to pull out the condensation while showering (currently
using a window mounted fan) but I am not sure how to vent it.

I don't want to use a conventional stack through the roof as the roof is
aluminum "shingles" and it appears a) hard to work with and b) hard to
walk on without damage. So I was thinking of using a dryer vent type
thing through the side wall of the attic. My question is, is this
acceptable by code, and even if so, are there any drawbacks to doing this?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.