Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 32"x32" shower ideas

I'm putting in a downstairs bath and have just enough room for a small
shower. If I use an standard 3 wall unit it will only be 32" x 32".
I guess I can get a couple more inches if I tile it. I haven't ever
done this kind of tiling before, just floors. Is it worth it? What
exactly do a do about the floor? The builder will be framing it up
and putting in the backer board and I guess the tub on the floor, I
will be responsible for the rest. Any advice or other ideas would be
appreciated.

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm putting in a downstairs bath and have just enough room for a small
shower. If I use an standard 3 wall unit it will only be 32" x 32".
I guess I can get a couple more inches if I tile it. I haven't ever
done this kind of tiling before, just floors. Is it worth it? What
exactly do a do about the floor? The builder will be framing it up
and putting in the backer board and I guess the tub on the floor, I
will be responsible for the rest. Any advice or other ideas would be
appreciated.

-Jim

Is there a window in the room? If not, expect more mildew. I'd go with the
surface that's easiest to clean, which would NOT be tiles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm putting in a downstairs bath and have just enough room for a small
shower. If I use an standard 3 wall unit it will only be 32" x 32".
I guess I can get a couple more inches if I tile it. I haven't ever
done this kind of tiling before, just floors. Is it worth it? What
exactly do a do about the floor? The builder will be framing it up
and putting in the backer board and I guess the tub on the floor, I
will be responsible for the rest. Any advice or other ideas would be
appreciated.

Mud set shower pan. It's what I did for a non-standard shower size. It's a lot
of work and research, but the end result was worth it for me. With good tile,
it's beautiful.

http://web.archive.org/web/200112112...ers/index.html
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...px?ac=ts&ra=fp
http://www.pisymphony.com/HANDYMAN/S...howerfloor.htm
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=192275
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mud+set+shower+pan

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 1:47 pm, jtpr wrote:
I'm putting in a downstairs bath and have just enough room for a small
shower. If I use an standard 3 wall unit it will only be 32" x 32".
I guess I can get a couple more inches if I tile it. I haven't ever
done this kind of tiling before, just floors. Is it worth it? What
exactly do a do about the floor? The builder will be framing it up
and putting in the backer board and I guess the tub on the floor, I
will be responsible for the rest. Any advice or other ideas would be
appreciated.

-Jim

You really only have 3 methods, in order of ease/expertise of
installation:

1) 3 wall and floor fiberglass drop-in unit
2) Fiberglass (or prefab terra) pan with tiled walls
3) Mudded pan with tiled walls

If you do #3 get an expert who has done them before, there are a lot
of details and if any one of them is missed you can get a leak through
the membrane. Must build a mortar curb/bed, install membrane without
nail holes, set drain bulkhead, ensure weep holes, another mortar bed,
then tile, it takes real talent to do properly.

If you are only looking to get a few more inches of length or width
with either #1 or #2 it's usually not worth it unless you are moving
up to the next standard-sized pan, custom sized shower pans
(fiberglass or other) are very expensive and require months of lead
time. With #2 you can maybe get a 32x36, 32x48, 34x48, 36x48 etc
standard pan, apply plastic sheething, durock, set the pan, then tile
down to the top of the pan (not over the lip), caulk and grout, the
drain is usually a rubber grommet that hugs the 2 inch pipe, pretty
simple. #1 is the easiest of all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 15, 1:47 pm, jtpr wrote:
I'm putting in a downstairs bath and have just enough room for a small
shower. If I use an standard 3 wall unit it will only be 32" x 32".
I guess I can get a couple more inches if I tile it. I haven't ever
done this kind of tiling before, just floors. Is it worth it? What
exactly do a do about the floor? The builder will be framing it up
and putting in the backer board and I guess the tub on the floor, I
will be responsible for the rest. Any advice or other ideas would be
appreciated.

-Jim

You really only have 3 methods, in order of ease/expertise of
installation:

1) 3 wall and floor fiberglass drop-in unit
2) Fiberglass (or prefab terra) pan with tiled walls
3) Mudded pan with tiled walls

I had a custom marble unit made. Not inexpensive. The floor pan was set in
and three wall panels were installed , then a door. The marble is the epoxy
type. The panels are only about 1/4 inches or so thick.