Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water softener repair

I've got a two year old GE Smar****er Softener that had been working
fine in my old house. To transport the
softener I removed the salt and remaining water. The person that was
"helping" me took it upon himself, (thinking that the inner tank was
full of water), to pull the head off and he begain to dump the
contents realizing quickly that he was actually dumping the
contaminant removing particles responsible for softening the water.
Very few of the particles slipped out. Here's my problem and
question;
The softener is simply not working well since it's been installed over
a week again. I've put in 60 pounds of salt. I've regenerated it
manually several times. I'm getting little or no soft water. I still
have the old softener inner tank and I'm wondering if I should take
some of the granules from that tank and top off the present tank. If
this is a good idea do I simply remove the head and pour them in or
what?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:07:26 -0000, gilmoreguy
wrote:

I've got a two year old GE Smar****er Softener that had been working
fine in my old house. To transport the
softener I removed the salt and remaining water. The person that was
"helping" me took it upon himself, (thinking that the inner tank was
full of water), to pull the head off and he begain to dump the
contents realizing quickly that he was actually dumping the
contaminant removing particles responsible for softening the water.
Very few of the particles slipped out. Here's my problem and
question;

Why move a softener too a home that it may not support? Idle
mechanics of the "head" can allow calcification (not in use for days).
I mean ports plug up!

The softener is simply not working well since it's been installed over
a week again. I've put in 60 pounds of salt. I've regenerated it
manually several times. I'm getting little or no soft water. I still
have the old softener inner tank and I'm wondering if I should take
some of the granules from that tank and top off the present tank. If
this is a good idea do I simply remove the head and pour them in or
what?
Thanks in advance.

Search a little on the net.

--