Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge Moisture?

My Whirlpool side by side garage refrigerator/freezer (otherwise not a
bad fridge) has started to accumulate a TON of moisture in the fridge
section. Water is constantly accumulating on the underside of glass
shelves, the roof, etc. It's really RAINING in there!

I completely emptied it , cleaned it, defrosted some ice accumulation
but it started up again as soon as it got back to temperature.

I can't justify a repairman for this unit, but want to save it.
Anyone know what the problem might be? If it were some component I
could replace myself, that would be worth the time and money.

Appreciate any advice!

Hart

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:57:35 -0500, Hart wrote:

My Whirlpool side by side garage refrigerator/freezer (otherwise not a
bad fridge) has started to accumulate a TON of moisture in the fridge
section. Water is constantly accumulating on the underside of glass
shelves, the roof, etc. It's really RAINING in there!

I completely emptied it , cleaned it, defrosted some ice accumulation
but it started up again as soon as it got back to temperature.

I can't justify a repairman for this unit, but want to save it.
Anyone know what the problem might be? If it were some component I
could replace myself, that would be worth the time and money.

Appreciate any advice!

It is normal for condensation to form on the evaporator. Think of a glass
of ice water and moisture from the air condensing. Same thing on the coils
inside the fridge. Normally the water runs off into a tray in the underside
and the water down there evaporates as fast as it accumulates.

Sometimes the hose running down to that tray will get blockage with ice.

To cure it, unplug the fridge for 24 hours and then plug it back in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Best guess is that the door seal(s) are leaking, letting warm humid air into
the fridge, which then condenses as water. Check carefully. Some say if
you can put a dollar bill jamb, close the door and easily pull the bill
out....the gasket is bad/too loose.

"Hart" wrote in message
My Whirlpool side by side garage refrigerator/freezer (otherwise not a
bad fridge) has started to accumulate a TON of moisture in the fridge
section. Water is constantly accumulating on the underside of glass
shelves, the roof, etc. It's really RAINING in there!

I completely emptied it , cleaned it, defrosted some ice accumulation
but it started up again as soon as it got back to temperature.

I can't justify a repairman for this unit, but want to save it.
Anyone know what the problem might be? If it were some component I
could replace myself, that would be worth the time and money.

Appreciate any advice!

Hart

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the advice;

Should I replace the gaskets on both the refrigerator AND freezer
sections even though the problem appears only in the fridge?

Do I purchase replacement gaskets specic to the model or are they more
generic?

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:29:00 -0500, "curmudgeon"
wrote:

Best guess is that the door seal(s) are leaking, letting warm humid air into
the fridge, which then condenses as water. Check carefully. Some say if
you can put a dollar bill jamb, close the door and easily pull the bill
out....the gasket is bad/too loose.

"Hart" wrote in message
.. .
My Whirlpool side by side garage refrigerator/freezer (otherwise not a
bad fridge) has started to accumulate a TON of moisture in the fridge
section. Water is constantly accumulating on the underside of glass
shelves, the roof, etc. It's really RAINING in there!

I completely emptied it , cleaned it, defrosted some ice accumulation
but it started up again as soon as it got back to temperature.

I can't justify a repairman for this unit, but want to save it.
Anyone know what the problem might be? If it were some component I
could replace myself, that would be worth the time and money.

Appreciate any advice!

Hart

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Hart wrote:
My Whirlpool side by side garage refrigerator/freezer (otherwise not a
bad fridge) has started to accumulate a TON of moisture in the fridge
section. Water is constantly accumulating on the underside of glass
shelves, the roof, etc. It's really RAINING in there!

I completely emptied it , cleaned it, defrosted some ice accumulation
but it started up again as soon as it got back to temperature.

I can't justify a repairman for this unit, but want to save it.
Anyone know what the problem might be? If it were some component I
could replace myself, that would be worth the time and money.

Repairclinic.com and similar sites will suggest check door gaskets,
clean out drain tube that leads to evaporator pan on top of heat
exchanger coils at bottom of fridge, and vacuum out all the dust
bunnies from those coils. A defrost timer could also be
malfunctioning, and there may be other compnents needing inspection.
Good luck.

Joe