Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default tricks to keep a circular saw cutting straight

what's the best way to keep a circular saw cutting straight? I'm tired
of veering left or right on a long piece of thin wood where I lose
sight of the line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
what's the best way to keep a circular saw cutting straight? I'm tired
of veering left or right on a long piece of thin wood where I lose
sight of the line.

Clamp work securely to saw horses or bench, then tack a wooden strip to the
work, so that the side of the saw baseplate will track against it.
Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm tired
of veering left or right on a long piece of thin wood where I lose
sight of the line.

Buy a table saw...

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the cut is narrower than the shoe of the saw, I never watch the
line. Use the line to get started, wrap your fingers around the
lead edge of the shoe so that the side of your index finger slides
along the edge of the board, cut as hard and as fast as your saw
and skill allow. If the material is really prone to splinters or
you have soft skin, wrap that finger with electrician's tape.

If you are making a lot of matched stuff, use a scrap of 1 by
material and clamp it to the bottom of the shoe. On warped and
bowed material, this method actually works better than a table
saw.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
what's the best way to keep a circular saw cutting straight? I'm
tired
of veering left or right on a long piece of thin wood where I
lose
sight of the line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
what's the best way to keep a circular saw cutting straight? I'm tired
of veering left or right on a long piece of thin wood where I lose
sight of the line.

Clamp a guide on the side and run along it. Practice helps too. I know a
guy that can cut 8 foot long 45 degree miters by hand and have a perfect
fit, but some of us can't get through a 2 x 4 straight. Just because the
brain knows what you need, the hand does not always cooperate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was gonna say that, but woulda said C-clamps to hold the guide
wood.

Depending how pretty your work, tacks or drywall screws.

Also whether you are ataching to the "good" piece, or to the
scrap that's being sawed off.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message
. ..
: ups.com...
:
: Clamp work securely to saw horses or bench, then tack a wooden
strip to the
: work, so that the side of the saw baseplate will track against
it.
: Roger
:
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message

. ..: "Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...
: what's the best way to keep a circular saw cutting straight?
I'm tired
: of veering left or right on a long piece of thin wood where I
lose
: sight of the line.
:
: Clamp work securely to saw horses or bench, then tack a wooden
strip to the
: work, so that the side of the saw baseplate will track against
it.
: Roger
:
:
:

Yep. I have two pieces 1/4"x8' 4" and 1/4"x4'4" flat iron bar.
Those plus two C clamps have never failed me. For short cuts, my
framing square or for even shorter ones the small squares with the lip
on them are wonderful.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
what's the best way to keep a circular saw cutting straight? I'm tired
of veering left or right on a long piece of thin wood where I lose
sight of the line.

Look up 'saw board' on the net. Essentially, it's a board the width of your
saw base up to the blade on which your saw rides. On the edge opposite the
blade you have a fence to guide the saw. You clamp it in place. It's just
a fancy version of what others have posted. I use the simple version
myself. Just offering options.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 05:27:47 -0000, Joe wrote:

what's the best way to keep a circular saw cutting straight? I'm tired
of veering left or right on a long piece of thin wood where I lose
sight of the line.

A sharp blade, and don't force the tool. Let the saw do the work.

A 2/4/6 ft level helps me. Don't rush the cut!

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Clamp a guide on the side and run along it. Practice helps too. I know a
guy that can cut 8 foot long 45 degree miters by hand and have a perfect
fit, but some of us can't get through a 2 x 4 straight. Just because the
brain knows what you need, the hand does not always cooperate.

The rule, "don't look back" is useful when operating a saw.

What's cut is cut. Just keep your eye several inches before the saw. If
there isn't a mark on the baseplate where the blade will cut (if you go
straight), make one.

When I had to trim a 8' board, the "scrap" looked like lath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 05:27:47 -0000, Joe wrote:

what's the best way to keep a circular saw cutting straight? I'm tired
of veering left or right on a long piece of thin wood where I lose
sight of the line.

It's called SOBRIETY !!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can build a 4' jig (or any length for that matter) that was shown on a
public tv show a while back.
Use a thin but strong base like 3/8 plywood. About 8" wide and 4' long.
Screw a guide on it made out of a 1x1 (or so).
Mount the guide a couple inches from one side of the base and 4-5 inches
from the other side.
Run the circle saw against the guide and cut off any excess base that you
can. What you will have is a guide is custom taylored to your circle saw.
Just clamp it on the work along the cut line and run the saw along the 1x1
guide for a perfect cut.

Dan