Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Add a second roof to block the sun

I have add on to my house that is similar to a sun room. I would like
to keep it cooler since it is open to the living room and kitchen. It
has a shallow roof just big enough for r 19 insulation. What I would
like to do is build a second roof on top of the original and about 12
inches high for air flow. I may combine it with a radient barrier.

Has anyone out there done this before? Could I make it with some sort
of removable (for winters) awning material or build it strong with
wood and shingle. I am worried about the second roofs load on the sun
room room.

For the record I live in Austin TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

STOMPS wrote:
I have add on to my house that is similar to a sun room. I would like
to keep it cooler since it is open to the living room and kitchen. It
has a shallow roof just big enough for r 19 insulation. What I would
like to do is build a second roof on top of the original and about 12
inches high for air flow. I may combine it with a radient barrier.

Has anyone out there done this before? Could I make it with some sort
of removable (for winters) awning material or build it strong with
wood and shingle. I am worried about the second roofs load on the sun
room room.

For the record I live in Austin TX

Off the top of my head, I would suggest reflective or very light colored
metal slats with space between each one to allow free air flow mounted just
a few inches above the existing roof.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/8/2007 11:04 PM STOMPS said the following:
I have add on to my house that is similar to a sun room. I would like
to keep it cooler since it is open to the living room and kitchen. It
has a shallow roof just big enough for r 19 insulation. What I would
like to do is build a second roof on top of the original and about 12
inches high for air flow. I may combine it with a radient barrier.

Has anyone out there done this before? Could I make it with some sort
of removable (for winters) awning material or build it strong with
wood and shingle. I am worried about the second roofs load on the sun
room room.

For the record I live in Austin TX

You could do that but you would have to leave the ridge area open or
install a ridge vent on your new roof so the hot air between your new
roof and old can escape. I think 12" is a little overkill, though. What
color is the roof now?
I have a 4 Seasons room on the back of the house that gets sun all
afternoon. When it was built, I made the mistake of matching the shingle
color to the existing house roof, which was black. It was too hot in the
sunroom in summer, sometimes 10º F more than the outside temp, even with
all windows open and ceiling fans going. Leaving all the windows closed,
most times resulted in a 20º greater temp difference.
I figured I would go for a lighter shingle color, but wanted to test
whether it would make a difference before I spent all that money, so I
bought some Henry's asphalt roof coating in White ($35 for 5 gallons at
HD). I painted the roof with it and the difference was astounding. Now
the interior temp never gets above the outside temp with the windows
open. If I leave the french doors open between the CAC house and
sunroom, the temp inside is about 10º cooler than outside.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY