Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preserving Opened Cartridges - Methods?

With regard to silicone and polyurethanes...

I'm sure many have different preferences but what are your methods? Those
cartridges can seal up in days and it would be nice if one could keep them
say a month when you know you are gonna need more of it.

Best I've ever come up with is putting a small piece of plastic bag over
the cartridge tip and put one of those yellow cartridge caps on. It still
will seal up but not quite as bad. Once a week open it, get rid of what has
dried, squirt a little fresh stuff out and recap.

Of course, best solution is probably suck it up, toss it out and pop for
another 4-6 bucks depending on the product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
With regard to silicone and polyurethanes...

I'm sure many have different preferences but what are your methods? Those
cartridges can seal up in days and it would be nice if one could keep them
say a month when you know you are gonna need more of it.

Best I've ever come up with is putting a small piece of plastic bag over
the cartridge tip and put one of those yellow cartridge caps on. It still
will seal up but not quite as bad. Once a week open it, get rid of what
has
dried, squirt a little fresh stuff out and recap.

Of course, best solution is probably suck it up, toss it out and pop for
another 4-6 bucks depending on the product.

I use wire nuts to seal the opening, which works for a fairly lengthy period
of time.

What usually happens, however, is that I finish my project, put the opened
tube (sealed with a wirenut) on the shelf for the next project, which
doesn't get started for a year -- by then the tube's hardened, I throw it
out and buy new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
With regard to silicone and polyurethanes...

I'm sure many have different preferences but what are your methods? Those
cartridges can seal up in days and it would be nice if one could keep them
say a month when you know you are gonna need more of it.

Best I've ever come up with is putting a small piece of plastic bag over
the cartridge tip and put one of those yellow cartridge caps on. It still
will seal up but not quite as bad. Once a week open it, get rid of what has
dried, squirt a little fresh stuff out and recap.

Of course, best solution is probably suck it up, toss it out and pop for
another 4-6 bucks depending on the product.

I've found that cleaning off the tip and then covering it with a layer
of the original Saran Wrap retained by a wire nut seems to work well,
especially when I make sure that there is no bubble of air trapped at
the tip. I figure this is because the wrap is especially impermeable to
air and seals very well to the plastic spout. This has worked with
standard "siliconized acrylic caulk" for a period of months. But it is
fiddly to deal with and sometimes seems like it is just too much work.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Al Bundy wrote:

With regard to silicone and polyurethanes...

I'm sure many have different preferences but what are your methods? Those
cartridges can seal up in days and it would be nice if one could keep them
say a month when you know you are gonna need more of it.

Best I've ever come up with is putting a small piece of plastic bag over
the cartridge tip and put one of those yellow cartridge caps on. It still
will seal up but not quite as bad. Once a week open it, get rid of what has
dried, squirt a little fresh stuff out and recap.

Of course, best solution is probably suck it up, toss it out and pop for
another 4-6 bucks depending on the product.

I squeeze out a big messy gob of it and leave it stuck to the end of the
nozzle. The bigger the better. However much you can get to adhere to the
nozzle end, in a ball shape. Curing only goes so deep, so when you pull
off the dried mass, the nozzle will still be flowing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:

With regard to silicone and polyurethanes...

I'm sure many have different preferences but what are your methods?

Stick a big headed nail in it.

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:23:23 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

With regard to silicone and polyurethanes...

I'm sure many have different preferences but what are your methods? Those
cartridges can seal up in days and it would be nice if one could keep them
say a month when you know you are gonna need more of it.

Best I've ever come up with is putting a small piece of plastic bag over
the cartridge tip and put one of those yellow cartridge caps on. It still
will seal up but not quite as bad. Once a week open it, get rid of what has
dried, squirt a little fresh stuff out and recap.

Of course, best solution is probably suck it up, toss it out and pop for
another 4-6 bucks depending on the product.

I usually put a nail in the end. Big enough to fill the hole and
understand I only can keep if for a few days. So I try and plan my
projects together.

tom @ www.MeetANewFriend.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Bress" wrote in
:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
With regard to silicone and polyurethanes...

I'm sure many have different preferences but what are your methods?
Those cartridges can seal up in days and it would be nice if one
could keep them say a month when you know you are gonna need more of
it.

Best I've ever come up with is putting a small piece of plastic bag
over the cartridge tip and put one of those yellow cartridge caps on.
It still will seal up but not quite as bad. Once a week open it, get
rid of what has
dried, squirt a little fresh stuff out and recap.

Of course, best solution is probably suck it up, toss it out and pop
for another 4-6 bucks depending on the product.

Thought I has one of the other NGs there for a moment... :-)