Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Water Heater Sediment

Have a hot water heater that is only producing about 1 foot of hot
water in our tub and then it is turning cold. Was told that you could
possibly have the sediment drained out. Is this a good idea or more
cost affective to just replace it? Is this something you can do
yourself?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Albert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have a hot water heater that is only producing about 1 foot of hot
water in our tub and then it is turning cold. Was told that you could
possibly have the sediment drained out. Is this a good idea or more
cost affective to just replace it? Is this something you can do
yourself?

Your "dip tube" has disappeared. It costs $10 at the local hardware store.
$10 for a plastic tube or $300 for a new heater? If you're remotely handy
with plumbing, you can replace the tube. it goes down in the cold water
inlet side; it carries the cold water all the way to the bottom. Without
the tube, you get the effect you are experiencing - incoming cold water
mixes with the hot at the top of the tank.

But, trying to get the sediment out is not a bad idea. Just be prepared for
the drain cock to break, as they are made of the cheapest plastic known to
man. Also easily replaceable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Albert wrote:
Have a hot water heater that is only producing about 1 foot of hot
water in our tub and then it is turning cold. Was told that you could
possibly have the sediment drained out. Is this a good idea or more
cost affective to just replace it? Is this something you can do
yourself?

If that is it there is little you can do now. If you had drained the
sediment every month or two since new that would have likey prevented it.
How ever it may be a few other things.

Gas or electric? If electric you could have an element out. It may also
be a dip tube.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Albert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have a hot water heater that is only producing about 1 foot of hot
water in our tub and then it is turning cold. Was told that you could
possibly have the sediment drained out. Is this a good idea or more
cost affective to just replace it? Is this something you can do
yourself?

How old is it? I replaced my 12 year old because the relief valve was
dripping; wasn't worth investing more in a heater that would have to
replaced soon anyhow.

It costs nothing to try to drain it, but if you have significant sediment
and have never drained it, it is probably hopelessly clogged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies. It is gas, and have no history knowledge of it
since we recently moved in and adopted the hot water heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd think dip tube is more likely the problem.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Albert" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Have a hot water heater that is only producing about 1 foot of
hot
: water in our tub and then it is turning cold. Was told that
you could
: possibly have the sediment drained out. Is this a good idea or
more
: cost affective to just replace it? Is this something you can
do
: yourself?
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suspect the dip tube has fallen in. If you're good with
plumbing, replace yourself. Otherwise, call a plumber, or a
handyman friend.

I've replaced a dip tube myself, in and out in about an hour. And
the part did cost ten bucks at the hardware.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Albert" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Thanks for the replies. It is gas, and have no history
knowledge of it
: since we recently moved in and adopted the hot water heater.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Albert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have a hot water heater that is only producing about 1 foot of hot
water in our tub and then it is turning cold. Was told that you could
possibly have the sediment drained out. Is this a good idea or more
cost affective to just replace it? Is this something you can do
yourself?

1 foot of hot water in a bathtub is a lot of water. What temp is the output
water of the heater? What temp is the water in the tub? Turning up the heater
thermostat may solve your problem.

What kind of water do you have? Hard or Soft? How old is the heater (Look on it
for a date)? Flushing it could help, but if it has enough sediment to reduce the
volume significantly, it is on its last legs.

I'm not an expert in this, but I would expect that a bad dip tube would cause
the water output to gradually cool from the beginning of use, rather than
holding temp until most of the hot water is output, due to the mixing of the hot
water in the top of the tank with the cold water entering. Try monitoring the
temp of the water from the tank as it empties to see if this is the case.]

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:38:25 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"Albert" wrote in message
roups.com...
Have a hot water heater that is only producing about 1 foot of hot
water in our tub and then it is turning cold. Was told that you could
possibly have the sediment drained out. Is this a good idea or more
cost affective to just replace it? Is this something you can do
yourself?

1 foot of hot water in a bathtub is a lot of water. What temp is the output

Yes it is. Maybe the previous owners always took showers. If they
didn't take them one right after the other, the water heater might
have had enough for all their showers.

water of the heater? What temp is the water in the tub? Turning up the heater
thermostat may solve your problem.

Yes. Don't go above the temp that is considered unsafe if you use hot
only, but I forget what that is.

What kind of water do you have? Hard or Soft? How old is the heater (Look on it
for a date)? Flushing it could help, but if it has enough sediment to reduce the
volume significantly, it is on its last legs.

I'm not an expert in this, but I would expect that a bad dip tube would cause
the water output to gradually cool from the beginning of use, rather than
holding temp until most of the hot water is output, due to the mixing of the hot
water in the top of the tank with the cold water entering. Try monitoring the
temp of the water from the tank as it empties to see if this is the case.]

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 12:33 am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:38:25 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"Albert" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

You should be able to tell how old it is by info on the unit. Many
times there is a date. If not there should be a serial number and if
you give the help line at the manufacturer a call, you can find out
how old it is. Since it's gas, if it's 10+ years old, I probably
wouldn't waste time screwing around with it and just get a new one.
Somewhere around 13 years is typical lifespan, but it can vary a lot
depending on local water. You neighbors can be a guide to expected
life.

If it is sediment that is causing the problem, you aren't going to
flush it out at this point. Flushing may help if done periodically,
but if it's full of crud, it isn't going to just flush out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:55:35 -0700, Albert wrote:

Have a hot water heater that is only producing about 1 foot of hot
water in our tub and then it is turning cold. Was told that you could
possibly have the sediment drained out. Is this a good idea or more
cost affective to just replace it? Is this something you can do
yourself?

I was told to drain the hot water tank once per year.

Sediment in water Fred Home Repair 1 May 1st 07 10:49 PM
Strange water heater sediment [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 29th 07 04:52 AM
Soil/Sediment build up in Mains Water! None UK diy 14 December 6th 06 07:40 AM
Well water was excellent - now sediment & air [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 3rd 06 08:28 PM
Sediment Filter: Well Water Pavel314 Home Repair 3 September 19th 05 05:17 PM