Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Default what gives here?

My wife is putting an 8' long piece of granite on the counter in our master
bath.

The granite guy says we need to provide a frame for support under the edges
of the granite.

To my hard old head, it seems to me the best thing would be to provide a
smooth, flat bed for the granite to rest on. This would seem to be a much
better support platform, as it would give support under much of the surface.

The edge frame the granite guy wants us to use seems like it would invite
the granite to eventually crack where no support is.

What's the deal here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 2:49 pm, "rb" wrote:
My wife is putting an 8' long piece of granite on the counter in our master
bath.

The granite guy says we need to provide a frame for support under the edges
of the granite.

To my hard old head, it seems to me the best thing would be to provide a
smooth, flat bed for the granite to rest on. This would seem to be a much
better support platform, as it would give support under much of the surface.

The edge frame the granite guy wants us to use seems like it would invite
the granite to eventually crack where no support is.

What's the deal here?

The frame would ideally allow access from below for the installer to
put shims where needed to give uniform support.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
My wife is putting an 8' long piece of granite on the counter in our
master bath.

The granite guy says we need to provide a frame for support under the
edges of the granite.

To my hard old head, it seems to me the best thing would be to provide a
smooth, flat bed for the granite to rest on. This would seem to be a much
better support platform, as it would give support under much of the
surface.

The edge frame the granite guy wants us to use seems like it would invite
the granite to eventually crack where no support is.

What's the deal here?

how much granite countertops have you installed in the past? how much has
the 'granite guy'?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
My wife is putting an 8' long piece of granite on the counter in our
master bath.

The granite guy says we need to provide a frame for support under the
edges of the granite.

To my hard old head, it seems to me the best thing would be to provide a
smooth, flat bed for the granite to rest on. This would seem to be a much
better support platform, as it would give support under much of the
surface.

The edge frame the granite guy wants us to use seems like it would invite
the granite to eventually crack where no support is.

What's the deal here?

What is steadier on a slightly uneven floor, a four legged stool or a three
legged stool? That flat surface you talk about won't be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
My wife is putting an 8' long piece of granite on the counter in our
master bath.

The granite guy says we need to provide a frame for support under the
edges of the granite.

To my hard old head, it seems to me the best thing would be to provide a
smooth, flat bed for the granite to rest on. This would seem to be a much
better support platform, as it would give support under much of the
surface.

The edge frame the granite guy wants us to use seems like it would invite
the granite to eventually crack where no support is.

What's the deal here?

how much granite countertops have you installed in the past? how much has
the 'granite guy'?

and why are y'all going along w/ the granite countertop FAD, anyway?
In 20 years, folks are gonna look at it and go, "Yup, a late 90's/2000's
remodel..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .net, barbie.gee
says...

charlie wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
[...]

Curious - what do you recommend that would never be "dated"?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 28, 8:03 am, Banty wrote:
In article .net, barbie.gee
says...

charlie wrote:
"rb" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You have a very good pont there, but there are many 'classic' themes
that always look good. What many people object to in some of the
current fads (decks, granite, etc.) is that the outcome is really butt
ugly like the Cadillac Escalade. Even many current house designs are
simply ranch style with monster roofs supported by huge trusses with
the space containing nothing of value nor utility. Impractical vaulted
ceilings are the wasteful norm, but the owners save the planet by
putting out a few pitiful WalMart plastic bags in the little bitty
green recycle box at the curb. Pragmatism has taken a leave of
absence. Go figure.

Joe