Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C duct repair - Help!

Can anyone suggest a good website for info on DIY A/C duct repair?
I've searched for a good while and didn't find much detail. Is it
something non-professionals are advised to stay away from?
From what I've been able to find out, duct tape doesn't work well for

A/C ducts (ironically) but mastic should be used instead. What kind of
mastic? I know where the holes are. How much should I use?

Apparently, there are 2 types of ducts: the "box" kind and the kind
that's like a coil in a bag. What is the proper name for the coil
kind? A section of the coil kind appears crushed in my attic. Does
that happen normally over the years? Can I repair that section or must
I replace it?

I would appreciate some pointers from a pro. I can't really afford to
hire someone right now.

Thanks,

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone suggest a good website for info on DIY A/C duct repair?
I've searched for a good while and didn't find much detail. Is it
something non-professionals are advised to stay away from?
From what I've been able to find out, duct tape doesn't work well for

A/C ducts (ironically) but mastic should be used instead. What kind of
mastic? I know where the holes are. How much should I use?

Apparently, there are 2 types of ducts: the "box" kind and the kind
that's like a coil in a bag. What is the proper name for the coil
kind? A section of the coil kind appears crushed in my attic. Does
that happen normally over the years? Can I repair that section or must
I replace it?

I would appreciate some pointers from a pro. I can't really afford to
hire someone right now.

Thanks,

Greg

Maybe you could tell us what happened to your ducts that they need to be
repaired. Are we talking about a 2" hole, or what? Are these rectangular
ducts, or round? Do you know how to use tin snips and a rivet gun?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is probably best to replace the damaged section.

You should use UL181 approved duct tape [not rubber back duct tape.] You
should also use sheet metal collars to join the repaired duct to the new
section of duct, and it is advisable to use mechanical restraint [zip ties.]
The 'coiled duct in a box / bag' is flexible duct. You can use a sharp
large knife to cut the duct, and a diagonal cutter to cut the spring [do not
use aviation snips to cut the spring, it will ruin them.] Good luck.

--
Zyp
wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone suggest a good website for info on DIY A/C duct repair?
I've searched for a good while and didn't find much detail. Is it
something non-professionals are advised to stay away from?
From what I've been able to find out, duct tape doesn't work well for

A/C ducts (ironically) but mastic should be used instead. What kind of
mastic? I know where the holes are. How much should I use?

Apparently, there are 2 types of ducts: the "box" kind and the kind
that's like a coil in a bag. What is the proper name for the coil
kind? A section of the coil kind appears crushed in my attic. Does
that happen normally over the years? Can I repair that section or must
I replace it?

I would appreciate some pointers from a pro. I can't really afford to
hire someone right now.

Thanks,

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zephyr" wrote in
news:3ZadnYgnlrbyyjjbnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d@championbroa dband.com:

It is probably best to replace the damaged section.

You should use UL181 approved duct tape [not rubber back duct tape.]
You should also use sheet metal collars to join the repaired duct to
the new section of duct, and it is advisable to use mechanical
restraint [zip ties.] The 'coiled duct in a box / bag' is flexible
duct. You can use a sharp large knife to cut the duct, and a diagonal
cutter to cut the spring [do not use aviation snips to cut the spring,
it will ruin them.] Good luck.

I've used, and have seen HVAC guys use, Polyken tapes. This one meets the
spec you mentioned.

http://covalenceadhesives.com/Search...ils.aspx?ID=87
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

I've used, and have seen HVAC guys use, Polyken tapes. This one meets the
spec you mentioned.

Yep!

And the stuff comes is wider widths which I have seen on new installations
in church buildings.

GREAT STUFF. It can take higher temperatures can can be used with gas
dryer vents. Holds as well as screws but doesn't "snag" or catch lint.

http://covalenceadhesives.com/Search...ils.aspx?ID=87

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it okay to replace a larger flexible A/C duct with one of a smaller
diameter (but same length)? I need to replace one (approx. 54"
circumference, 14" diameter) and I'd actually like to reroute it
around some attic beams, but it's too wide to fit between the beams.
Will replacing it with a narrower flex duct increase the pressure and
the efficiency? Is this to tricky for a DIY project? What kind of
reducing connector would I need? This appears to be the part of the
duct that sucks the return air (because I can see the tube shrink a
bit when the A/C kicks on.)

The print on the existing duct is hard to read, but it LOOKS like it
says:

14
max positive pressure=6" water
max negative pressure=1" water
max flame spread 25
max smoke developed 60
max velocity= 4000 fpm
R 5.6
Perm 0.1
Permaflex M-KE

Posted to alt.home.repair

Telstra wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

And the ZIP file has what virus?

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Never install a smaller Return air duct!
The 14" flex duct could even be too small!
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(* My Airconditioning Links, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle, etc.)

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!

Posted to alt.home.repair

A very interesting site
"udarrell" wrote in message
. net...
wrote:

[...]

WISDOM PRINCIPLE DIRECTED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS - THE REAL POLITICAL
ISSUES and WISDOM BASED PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

http://www.udarrell.com/
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm (* My Airconditioning Links, Hunting
Shooting, Angus Cattle, etc.)

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html
http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!

Duct Tape, or what? Walter R. Home Repair 2 December 10th 05 09:13 PM
Duct Sizing Steve Groulx Home Repair 11 October 12th 05 11:11 PM
Replace flex duct with rigid duct? [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 23rd 05 10:37 PM
Sealing Round Metal Duct Joints On Forced Hot Air Furnace (other than duct tape)? Robert11 Home Repair 7 April 21st 05 10:24 PM
Hot Furnace Duct Seeker Home Repair 4 December 10th 04 01:09 AM