Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tile thickness - door scraping

My garage entry door swings out onto a slab (which is an entry way I
wanted to dress up with tile to hile the concrete crack) There is
only the clearance about the height of aluminum threshold approx.
1/2" . Too bad when I installed the door I forgot about the tiles I
wanted to install.

I put a piece of tile to test and the sweeper of the door scrapes it a
bit but still operable (not considering the thinset yet) I think I
will have to remove the sweeper. It would be nice to have some kind
of sealing at the bottom of the door, but it's only a garage door.

Is there any way to gain the clearance or minimize the thickness of
tiles installation..? Can a masonary grinding wheel be used to remove
slight amount of material in the door swing area? The area is
covered so there is no standing water.

I do not want to re-hang the door or convert to in-swing door.
Maybe a concrete stain or patio paint with the appropiate patch to
seal the crack is a better solution?

Thanks in advance.