Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new flush valve-water hammer

I replaced my flush valve and flapper with an LDR brand. Works great.
There actually seems to be a greater flow into the bowl- not sure why.
Anyway, the problem is a few seconds of water hammer after the toilet
finishes filling and the valve shuts off. Is it because the valve shuts off
too quickly-- is there an adjustment for that or is that the nature of a
valve that doesn't use a ball, but rather an integral float? Would closing
down the feed shutoff valve to lessen the pressure flow to the toilet help?
It would lessen the pressure difference in the line between running and not
running. It doesn't happen when the sink or bathtub are shutoff quickly.
????
Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Muderick wrote:
I replaced my flush valve and flapper with an LDR brand. Works great.
There actually seems to be a greater flow into the bowl- not sure why.
Anyway, the problem is a few seconds of water hammer after the toilet
finishes filling and the valve shuts off. Is it because the valve shuts off
too quickly-- is there an adjustment for that or is that the nature of a
valve that doesn't use a ball, but rather an integral float? Would closing
down the feed shutoff valve to lessen the pressure flow to the toilet help?
It would lessen the pressure difference in the line between running and not
running. It doesn't happen when the sink or bathtub are shutoff quickly.
????
Thanks,

Try your idea of throttling down the supply shutoff. It'd take a bit
longer to refill the tank, but so what?

If that doesn't work you could always investigate the practicality of
installing a tee and a spring loaded water hammer arrestor behind the
shutoff valve.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 06:44:37 GMT, "Michael Muderick"
wrote:

I replaced my flush valve and flapper with an LDR brand. Works great.
There actually seems to be a greater flow into the bowl- not sure why.
Anyway, the problem is a few seconds of water hammer after the toilet

I think that's the price you pay for the greater flow you mention.

finishes filling and the valve shuts off. Is it because the valve shuts off
too quickly-- is there an adjustment for that or is that the nature of a
valve that doesn't use a ball, but rather an integral float? Would closing
down the feed shutoff valve to lessen the pressure flow to the toilet help?

Every situation is different. Why not try it?

I have mine so slow it takes 5 or 10 minutes. But I don't hear a
thing except at the very end.

It would lessen the pressure difference in the line between running and not
running. It doesn't happen when the sink or bathtub are shutoff quickly.
????
Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

IF all else fails, drain your water pipes completely. Sometimes the little
stubs a plumber uses to arrest water hammer gets water logged (the air in
the stub dissolves in the water and disappears). THe quick fix is to drain
the the system and refill so that the air in the stub is restored. The
newer valves close faster than the older ones and cause more water hammer.
Newer addon water hammer arrestors have a bladder in them to keep the air
from mixing with the water.

news1Doi.1383$b04.1196@trndny06...