Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do I need an expansion tank?

Dear Readers,

I've a new oil-fired boiler with an indirect water heater. The
boiler
loop has an expansion tank. The domestic hot water does not. I have
well water (bladder tank located 50+ft away from the boiler).
Do I need an expansion tank on my domestic hot water? The plumber who
installed said I don't need one, but I'm concerned.

All comments appreciated.
Thank you.
Anthony M. Falcone

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I think people started needing expansion tanks on water heaters when
muncipal water supplies added check valves to stop contanimation of the
water system. Since you don't have a check valve to prevent backflow, I
don't see why you would need one.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear Readers,

I've a new oil-fired boiler with an indirect water heater. The
boiler
loop has an expansion tank. The domestic hot water does not. I have
well water (bladder tank located 50+ft away from the boiler).
Do I need an expansion tank on my domestic hot water? The plumber who
installed said I don't need one, but I'm concerned.

All comments appreciated.
Thank you.
Anthony M. Falcone

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
I think people started needing expansion tanks on water heaters when
muncipal water supplies added check valves to stop contanimation of the
water system. Since you don't have a check valve to prevent backflow, I
don't see why you would need one.

Don't you think his water system has a check valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 12:42 am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"Art" wrote in message

ink.net...

I think people started needing expansion tanks on water heaters when
muncipal water supplies added check valves to stop contanimation of the
water system. Since you don't have a check valve to prevent backflow, I
don't see why you would need one.

Don't you think his water system has a check valve?

It probably has at least one at the well, but if he has a bladder tank
between the hot water tank and the well,
that should allow for all the expansion necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . net, "Art" wrote:
I think people started needing expansion tanks on water heaters when
muncipal water supplies added check valves to stop contanimation of the
water system. Since you don't have a check valve to prevent backflow, I
don't see why you would need one.

He indeed doesn't need one, but that's not the reason.

He doesn't need one because the pressure tank for the well serves the same
purpose.

oups.com...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no existing check valve between the bladder tank and the
indirect water heater domestic intake. You confirmed my suspicion
that the house bladder tank acts as an expansion tank for the domestic
water system.

Thank you all very much for your comments.

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

Don't you think his water system has a check valve?

I don't know of many that do. Mine certainly does not. Not in my last
house either. Or the one before that. Why do you think he has one?

Backflow preventers are relatively new in residential applications also. I
have four in my commercial/industrial buildings, none in residential.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 6:50 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

Don't you think his water system has a check valve?

I don't know of many that do. Mine certainly does not. Not in my last
house either. Or the one before that. Why do you think he has one?

Backflow preventers are relatively new in residential applications also. I
have four in my commercial/industrial buildings, none in residential.

.Backflow preventers are relatively new in residential applications also.

Yes & in some areas, backflow prevention is handled only at hose bibs
& dishwashers via individual devices.

My neighbor had a city permitted / inspected re-pipe & now has vacuum
breakers at the hose bibs.............no check valve & thus no need
for an expansion tank.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 6:50 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

Don't you think his water system has a check valve?

I don't know of many that do. Mine certainly does not. Not in my last
house either. Or the one before that. Why do you think he has one?

Backflow preventers are relatively new in residential applications also. I
have four in my commercial/industrial buildings, none in residential.

Perhaps because he is on a well and I have never seen or heard of a
well system without one. The footvalve _is_ a checkvalve and if it is
a submersible, the checkvalve is built in. If there wasn't one, the
pressure tank would empty back into the well every time the pump shut
off.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

The check valve in a well system would be between the punp and the bladder
tank. Not the bladder tank and house water pipes. So he doesn't need an
expansion tank for the water heater.

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 20, 6:50 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

Don't you think his water system has a check valve?

I don't know of many that do. Mine certainly does not. Not in my last
house either. Or the one before that. Why do you think he has one?

Backflow preventers are relatively new in residential applications also.
have four in my commercial/industrial buildings, none in residential.

Perhaps because he is on a well and I have never seen or heard of a
well system without one. The footvalve _is_ a checkvalve and if it is
a submersible, the checkvalve is built in. If there wasn't one, the
pressure tank would empty back into the well every time the pump shut
off.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 9:52 pm, "Art" wrote:
The check valve in a well system would be between the punp and the bladder
tank. Not the bladder tank and house water pipes. So he doesn't need an
expansion tank for the water heater.

"Harry K" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 20, 6:50 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

. ..

Don't you think his water system has a check valve?

I don't know of many that do. Mine certainly does not. Not in my last
house either. Or the one before that. Why do you think he has one?

Backflow preventers are relatively new in residential applications also.
have four in my commercial/industrial buildings, none in residential.

Perhaps because he is on a well and I have never seen or heard of a
well system without one. The footvalve _is_ a checkvalve and if it is
a submersible, the checkvalve is built in. If there wasn't one, the
pressure tank would empty back into the well every time the pump shut
off.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

I believe that was explained earlier.

Harry K

Expansion tank Kennys Nemesis Home Repair 0 December 17th 05 10:19 AM
Expansion tank Kennys Nemesis Home Ownership 0 December 17th 05 10:19 AM
Expansion tank Douglas de Lacey UK diy 2 December 9th 05 04:27 PM
expansion tank karla Home Repair 3 June 26th 05 10:46 PM
Expansion tank PB Home Repair 7 August 23rd 04 05:54 PM