Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a correct way to run deck boards?

I am going to build a deck across the front of my house. It will be 8
feet from the door to the steps, and 12 feet long. I have 8 foot deck
boards because I was able to get them really cheap. But if I run them
the 8 foot width of the deck, the boards will run from the door to the
steps. Somehow this seems wrong. In other words, when I go up the
steps toward the door, I'd be walking the length of the boards. It
seems that the boards should go the 12 foot length of the porch, thus
when I go up the steps, I will be walking from board to board as I go
to the door. This seems like it would look better. Sure, I will have
to splice the boards, but it just dont seem right to run them from the
door to the steps.

Is this correct? Is there a correct way to build a deck? I have not
yet built the framing, so I can go either way.

Josh